The incumbent will support the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) initiatives within the agency by managing input data for emission estimation from multiple and disparate data sources; designing data management tools for stable, secured, and accessible storage of input data and emission estimates; conducting statistical analysis on input data and emission estimates and preparing outputs for use in forecasting and modeling; data visualizations to inform and educate with data-driven knowledge that is useable, accessible and reproducible. To accomplish these tasks the incumbent will work closely with senior staff to develop GHG efforts while identifying needs to ensure that business processes and data structures most efficiently address those needs. The incumbent will recognize and communicate the importance of transparency, data quality and data interpretation to ensure successful implementation of GHG related efforts and progress towards meeting the agency’s GHG related environmental objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science or other Natural Science; Statistics, GIS, or other related degree with two (2) years of demonstrated experience conducting data analysis, data visualization, GIS mapping, database management, and the use of data science tools;
- A Master’s degree in an in an Environmental Science or other Natural Science; Statistics, GIS, or other related degree with one (1) year of demonstrated experience conducting data analysis, data visualization, GIS mapping, database management, and the use of data science tools;
- Candidates must have the ability to collaborate with partners effectively and possess good communications skills to present technical environmental information to a wide range of business partners.
- Understanding of air pollution mechanisms and an understanding of the environmental setting for Greenhouse Gas Data.
- Experience performing and communicating qualitative analysis, quantitative analysis, and/or statistical modeling in support of decision making. Demonstrated project management and leadership skills.
- Experience with analytical tools such as database, statistical, visualization and GIS software such as Excel, SQL, R, Python, Tableau and ArcGIS.
- Skilled in collecting information from diverse internal and external sources and creating communication products (data analysis/visualization and reporting) for diverse internal and external groups.
- Ability to work effectively with others and coordinate with individuals involved in diverse environmental programs and research and to establish and maintain productive and open communications with business partners and other staff members.
- Ability to critically review, document, and summarize information and data into comprehensive recommendations, reports, and presentations.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small equipment. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure polluting does not have disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have inclusive workplace for everyone.