Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc. (MEPPI) is seeking an Electrical Systems Engineer I
within our Substation Division. In this highly visible role you will be responsible performing and the support FACTS and HVDC system design, equipment design and rating, and system configuration, including factory test and commissioning test, development, technical consultation and leadership for power electronics based products (i.e., SVC Statcom, FSC, HVDC). Additionally you will instruct sales, engineering and projects staff in proper power electronics design and equipment application.
What will I do as a Power Systems Engineer?
· Perform design studies for FACTS and HVDC systems, such as harmonic filter design, loss calculation, audible noise analysis and control performance analysis. Assist with technical studies performed by other departments and outside services.
· Perform equipment design and rating calculations for FACTS and HVDC systems, including development of one-line diagram of FACTS and HVDC systems.
· Participate in site commissioning tests for FACTS and HVDC systems.
· Draft outlines of FACTS and HVDC protection and control systems, including system control performance analysis.
· Design and implement operation method of FACTS and HVDC system to meet customer specifications.
· Develop equipment and system design specifications using customer specifications and input to ensure the designs meet all performance and customer requirements.
· Coordinate and communicate local design efforts with MELCO power electronics engineers.
· Coordinate system design through implementation of equipment factory test and real-time digital simulator test at the factory in Japan.
· Support field engineers and service personnel with start-up, troubleshooting and repair of FACTS and HVDC systems.
· Monitor factory and field test plans to ensure adequate techniques and uniform, cost effective practices. Review and interpret factory test results for power electronics equipment and systems.
· Establish and maintain SSD design standards.
What is required from me?
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Power Electronics Engineering with 0 to 2 years of experience in FACTS or HVDC system engineering, or equivalent education and experience.
· Intermediate knowledge of power electronics, electrical transmission systems and substation equipment.
· Intermediate knowledge in substation theory, protection and control, including fundamental concepts of feedback control.
· Basic knowledge of harmonic and harmonic filtering equipment design methods.
· Intermediate interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
· Intermediate analytical and problem solving skills.
· Ability to read, understand and create technical drawings and material.
· Intermediate computer skills with emphasis on Microsoft Office products and understanding of CAD and engineering analysis software.
· Applicants for this position must have authorization to legally work in the U.S. that does not require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status). Individuals who require such sponsorship now or in the future are not eligible for hire for this opening.
Why Mitsubishi Electric Power Products?
Mitsubishi Electric has extensive experience and expertise in the research, development, design, manufacturing, installation, testing, and commissioning of high-performance FACTS and HVDC systems worldwide. Additionally, we are currently working with the University of Pittsburgh on research of advanced power electronics technology. Since 1972, we have supplied over 140 conventional Static Var Compensators and over 45 voltage sourced converter (VSC) based STATCOM’s. Our many accomplishments include the world’s first VSC-based STATCOM for utility applications in 1979, and the world’s first commercial conventional SVC using direct light-triggered thyristor devices (LTT) in 1984. Within the last year, Mitsubishi Electric recently installed and commissioned the world’s largest STATCOM (+/-450 Mvar) in Japan for Chubu Electric Power Company for stability improvement and overvoltage suppression. Ongoing developments in the next generation VSC Modular Multilevel Converter (MMC) grid technology advance our FACTS and HVDC products and systems forward.
About the company
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc. is a leading U.S. supplier of equipment, systems and services to utilities and industrials in the U.S. and overseas. Our corporate headquarters is located in Warrendale, PA. MEPPI is an affiliate of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (MELCO) with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan and manufacturing, engineering and service locations worldwide.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply:
To apply online at www.meppijobs.com Requisition code 2131
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability