Information Technology Supervisor, Grade 30
Department of Housing and Community Affairs
Closing Date: September 17, 2021
The Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA) plans and implements activities which prevent and correct problems that contribute to the physical decline of residential and commercial areas; ensures fair and equitable relations between landlords and tenants; increases the supply of affordable housing; and maintains existing housing in a safe and sanitary condition.
DHCA seeks an experienced IT Supervisor to lead a team of dedicated and skilled IT staff, support current departmental operations, and leverage technology to respond to new business requirements.
DHCA-IT has developed in-house an extensive portfolio of modern web applications to support departmental staff and external users. Those applications, which have earned DHCA several nationally recognized awards, extensively leverage Microsoft’s web application stack (MS SQL, ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework, Web API). More recently, DHCA started integrating MS Azure services into its solutions, namely, File Storage, App Service, and Cognitive Search. DHCA has also aggressively pushed the use of mobile technology to support the field work of Housing Code inspectors; inspectors are issued Apple tablets and phones and DHCA-IT as developed a dedicated iOS app to efficiently perform housing inspections. Finally, DHCA-IT interfaces and cooperates regularly with other departments and external agencies in joint development projects and sharing data.
The selected candidate is expected to continue DHCA’s practice of excellence and innovation in Information Technology.
The person in this position will leverage information technology to support the department’s mission. The IT Supervisor will organize IT staff and coordinate existing hardware and software resources as well as specify and acquire new ones to maintain the highest level of services to staff and constituents. Furthermore, and in consultation with management, the IT Supervisor will develop medium and long-term strategic plans to address departmental needs and capitalize on new technological opportunities.
Duties will include:
- Overseeing and contributing to the continued maintenance and upgrade of existing departmental IT systems.
- Overseeing and contributing to departmental data warehousing and business intelligence activities.
- Evaluating programs with a racial equity lens to reflect the County’s commitment to racial equity to close gaps and eliminate disparities.
- Developing and executing IT plans to respond to DHCA’s evolving mission, including leveraging new technology to improve the department’s delivery of services as well as architecting new solutions.
- Advising management on all IT matters as well as providing data to support decision making.
- Responding to requests for information and data from staff, management, County departments, external agencies, academics, and constituents.
- Managing IT staff, assigning responsibilities and tasks, developing priorities, evaluating performance, and providing support and mentoring.
- Managing the purchase of hardware and software and ensuring an accurate accounting of equipment and licenses.
- Ensuring the department compliance with the County’s security policies as well as with PCI-DSS and ACH rules.
- Developing and issuing requests for proposal and other procurement vehicles, analyzing responses, managing task orders and invoices.
- Perform related duties as required
As a manager/supervisor the individual in this position has a responsibility to foster a positive environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation, and to promote racial equity.
Experience: Six (6) years of professional experience in Information Technology.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
The applications of those individuals meeting the minimum qualifications will be reviewed to determine the extent, relevancy of training, and experience in the following areas:
- Experience in planning, coaching, directing, supervising, and evaluating the work of subordinate employees in information technology services.
- Extensive experience contributing and leading web application development projects using Microsoft technologies.
- Experience with data warehousing and business intelligence, specifically using SSIS and Power BI.
- Experience leveraging cloud-based services, specifically Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with Agile application development practices.
- Experience in the development and implementation of security and compliance policies.