Fall 2021: Human Robot Interaction Engineering Intern
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
We are seeking an Expressive Robotics intern in Boston or Pittsburgh. We are exploring the intersection of Expressive Robotics and Autonomous Vehicles. The concern is that AV movements (behaviors) will be perceived by pedestrians and other road users as “robotic”. Robotic history has shown us that this will most likely result in confusion, specifically, confusion in understanding the vehicle’s intentions. Over time this can lead to frustration. This team is utilizing the latest research in Expressive and Legible Robotics to design a state-of-the-art approach to develop AV designs that work with humans. This work aids the AV community, pedestrians, adjacent road users, and society.
How you’ll make a difference:
- Work with AV Stack team to scope and architect AV to Pedestrian expressive vehicle behaviors.
- Brainstorm solutions for AV to human road user interfaces.
- Develop quick-prototype solutions using Human Centered Design practices. Test.
Who Are Your Direct Colleagues:
- AV Stack Chief Engineers
- Product Managers
- User Experience experts
- AV Stack Planning Tech Leads
What you’ll bring:
- A can-do attitude for fun projects focused on helping society!
- A background in a robotics engineering discipline (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, Controls, etc.)
- A background in HRI, Human Robot Interaction.
- A background in Mobile robots
- Automotive experience (a plus)
- Automated Vehicle experience (a plus)
- User experience testing experience (a plus)
- Human Centered Design experience (a plus)
Team Tools Available
- Virtual Reality studio
- Public road self-driving vehicles exclusively for Expressive Robotics solution testing
- Garage space and mechanics
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.