Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
Sensitivity Analysis Validation Intern
The objective of this internship is to explore methodologies and techniques to conduct sensitivity analysis to identify critical parameters amongst those that characterize logical scenarios. In doing so, contain the explosion of the parameter space and drive the strategy towards meaningful testing. The focus of this work would be considered parameters affecting the perception subsystem.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Identify and categorize the logical scenario parameters that can potentially have an effect on the performance of the autonomy stack particularly the perception subsystem.
- Compare Motional logical scenario parameters to parameters from industry best practices to analyze the gap and how that gap impacts testing for safety.
- Conduct a literature review on the sensitivity and uncertainty analysis methods for engineering models, focusing on perception models.
- Review and analyze Motional internal work to draw parallels.
- Propose a methodology for conducting the sensitivity analysis for the effect of logical scenario parameters on the autonomy (perception) stack at both, subsystem level and system level, and also to establish a correlation between subsystem level testing results and system level testing results.
- Work on open-source simulators to conduct experimental testing and demonstrate proof of concept with initial results.
What we’re looking for:
- Pursuing MS or PhD in ME/ECE/CSE/Robotics or relevant field.
- Strong understanding of concepts such as motion kinematics and dynamics.
- Experience with C++ and/or Python is a must.
- Prior experience of working with autonomous systems and relevant simulation platforms (CARLA, LGSVL etc.).
- Strong problem formulation and solving skills.
- Self motivated individual who can support the project from start to finish.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Pursuing PhD in a relevant field.
- Experience with Linux/Ubuntu systems.
- Experience with Safety standards such as ISO/PAS 21448 (SOTIF), ISO 26262 (FuSa).
- Strong technical writing experience.
Why you should join us:
If you are a high achieving ME/ECE/CSE student (MS/PhD) who is looking to explore the field of autonomous vehicle simulation, this is the place for you. This position allows you to work with a group of highly motivated engineers who are always looking forward to taking on new challenges and driving improvements. This position will also give you the experience of working in an innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.