Fall 2021: Traffic Simulation Validation Intern
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
Traffic Simulation Validation Intern
The objective of this internship is to explore methodologies to conduct traffic simulation using Motional specific as well as open source tools as a way to collect evidence for the safety case. Additionally, extend the analysis by identifying unknown logical scenarios for SOTIF considerations.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Identify ways of utilizing synthetic traffic simulation as part of validation testing by conducting a thorough review of existing literature (public as well as internally within Motional).
- Conduct research and experimentation to outline necessary requirements for setting up traffic simulations.
- Collaborate with internal teams such as Validation, Systems, Rulebooks and Safety, gaining exposure to multiple engineering disciplines and several projects simultaneously throughout the development process.
- Identify methods to extract concrete/logical scenarios from the traffic simulations and compute relative frequencies of occurrence of these scenarios.
- Use extracted scenarios for SOTIF considerations by comparing them with logical scenario requirements specified.
- Formalize the entire process from simulation setup to scenario extraction and comparison with existing scenario database.
What we’re looking for:
- Pursuing MS or PhD in ME/ECE/CSE/Robotics or relevant field.
- Strong understanding of concepts such as motion kinematics and dynamics.
- Experience with C++ and/or Python is a must.
- Experience with traffic simulation tools such as SUMO.
- Strong problem formulation and solving skills.
- Self motivated individual who can support the project from start to finish.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Pursuing PhD in a relevant field.
- Experience with Linux/Ubuntu systems.
- Experience with Safety standards such as ISO/PAS 21448 (SOTIF), ISO 26262 (FuSa).
- Strong technical writing experience.
- Prior experience of working with autonomous systems and relevant simulation platforms (CARLA, LGSVL etc.).
Why you should join us:
If you are a high achieving ME/ECE/CSE student (MS/PhD) who is looking to explore the field of autonomous vehicle simulation, this is the place for you. This position allows you to work with a group of highly motivated engineers who are always looking forward to taking on new challenges and driving improvements. This position will also give you the experience of working in an innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.