The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
Expressive Robotics Intern
Motional’s Autonomous Mobility team is focused on developing, and commercializing autonomous vehicles and systems that enable point-to-point mobility via large fleets of autonomous vehicles in challenging urban driving environments. With talented teams working across the globe, from Boston to Singapore, Motional was the first company to deploy a commercial, point-to-point autonomous ride-hailing service based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
With continued research, development, and both current and future commercial deployments, we are looking for talented and passionate people to join our team.
Work with leading engineers, research scientists, marketers and business development experts, all while enabling the future of mobility. At Motional, we believe that our mobility solutions have the power to change the world.
We are seeking an Expressive Robotics Intern in Boston or Pittsburgh. We are exploring the intersection of Expressive Robotics and Autonomous Vehicles. The concern is that AV movements (behaviors) will be perceived by pedestrians and other road users as “robotic”. Robotic history has shown us that this will most likely result in confusion, specifically, confusion in understanding the vehicle’s intentions. Over time this can lead to frustration. This team is utilizing the latest research in Expressive and Legible Robotics to design a state-of-the-art approach to develop AV designs that work with humans. This work aids the AV community, pedestrians, adjacent road users, and society.
How you’ll make a difference:
- Work with AV Stack team to scope and architect AV to Pedestrian expressive vehicle behaviors.
- Mock-up and test solutions for AV to human road user interfaces. Solutions may include unique vehicle movements/behaviors and sounds.
- Refine quick-prototype solutions using Human Centered Design practices.
- Initiate project to realize promising concepts into virtual reality with VR and studio contractors.
Who Are Your Direct Colleagues:
- AV Stack Chief Engineers
- Product Managers
- User Experience experts
- AV Stack Planning Tech Lead
- AV Stack Rulebook engineers
What you’ll bring:
- A can-do attitude for fun projects focused on helping society!
- A background in a robotics engineering discipline (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, Controls, etc.)
- A background in HRI, Human Robot Interaction.
- A background in Mobile robots
- Automotive experience (a plus)
- Automated Vehicle experience (a plus)
- User experience testing experience (a plus)
- Human Centered Design experience (a plus)
Team Tools Available
- Virtual Reality studio
- VR environment studio contractor
- Audio studio contractor
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.