The National Air & Space Museum is now hiring a REMOTE team of paid student educators!
This new team of Virtual Explainers will inspire audiences around the globe by connecting them to our iconic artifacts and sharing inspiring stories about innovation, science, and technology. The Explainers Program is seeking college students of all backgrounds and majors to help our virtual visitors become life-long learners and better understand STEM concepts through interactive digital programs. Virtual Explainers will work remotely throughout the school year and summer. We are seeking candidates with the flexibility to provide, at a minimum, a twelve-month commitment to the program. Request an application and send questions to: NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu.
Virtual Explainers engage audiences through interactive virtual demonstrations on topics such as the forces of flight, living and working in space, and astronomy. Our dynamic portfolio of virtual visitor experiences includes a digital planetarium show, live Explainer demonstrations, and a Storytime program for Kindergarten through 2nd-grade participants. Additional virtual projects may also be assigned on an as-needed basis.
Explainers may be scheduled for remote shifts seven days a week, but most programs will occur Mon-Fri between 9 am and 4 pm ET. Candidates must be available for some shifts during these times. Hours will be flexible according to your academic schedule.
To be an Explainer, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Currently be enrolled in a diploma- or degree-granting program
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA
- Provide availability for a minimum of 5 shifts per month. Shifts are 3 hours, either AM or PM, Monday through Friday. (AM shift: 9 am – 12:30 pm and PM shift: 12:30 – 4 pm)
- Be able to commit to, at minimum, 12-months of work with the program
- Be able to engage diverse audiences in a virtual classroom setting
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Have consistent access to a robust internet connection; quiet work environment; reliable computer; webcam; and microphone
- Be willing to attend ongoing virtual trainings and proactively engage in self-study on topics related to aeronautics and space science
- Be a United States citizen with a photo ID; a naturalized citizen with proper documentation; or a non-citizen with proper INS authorization to work in the United States
We are seeking candidates who fit the following criteria:
- Applicants from all majors accepted
- Applicants from all geographic areas with availability to work shifts between 9 am – 4 pm ET
- Public speaking experience and/or teaching experience
- Proven dynamic virtual presence
- Interest in STEM or science communication
- Experienced and enthusiastic about working with children
- Strong tech skills & digital troubleshooting ability
Email NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu for an application form.
To be considered for a position as an Explainer, you must submit the following items:
- A completed application form
- A current resume
- A college or graduate transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted) or college class schedule with high school transcript, if applying as a freshman
- Two letters of recommendation
- A 2-minute video to serve as your “statement of purpose”— Why do you want to be a virtual Explainer? How will you contribute to the program and how will this position assist you in your career and/or educational goals?
An interview may be scheduled after the application package has been received and reviewed.
Please note: Incomplete application packages will not be processed or considered.
For additional information, to request an application, or to submit recommendations please email NASM-ExplainersProgram@si.edu. Recommenders can send letters of recommendation directly to this email or send to the applicant to submit with completed application package.
2021 Application & Hiring Timeline
- Application Due Date: Rolling applications due no later than Sunday, September 19, 2021
- Interview Period: Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis as applications are received
- Start Date: For selected candidates, this job will start no earlier than: November 1, 2021