The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
As part of the NBACC Genomics Group, supports the National Biodefense Forensic Analysis Center (NBFAC) and the National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC) by conducting forensic casework and performing genomic characterization of biological samples.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 5 years related experience or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years experience.
• Advanced scientific proficiency in laboratory functions. Possesses the ability to identify issues and recommend solutions to laboratory protocols, procedures and experimental plans.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for DHS, a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
• Participation in the Immunization Program through Frederick Health Employer Solutions (FHES) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Serves as a member of a team supporting sequencing laboratory operations, including nucleic acid extractions, cDNA preparation, molecular biology techniques such as PCR, sequencing library preparation, quality control, and data collection for next generation sequencing activities and NBACC.
• Assists in development and adoption of techniques and instruments supporting new sequencing and analysis technologies.
• Assists in managing signature cross-containment control measures and environmental surveillance within NBACC laboratory spaces.
• Supports other groups within NBACC as needed, in coordination with Genomics TSS or Managers.
• Assists in managing the maintenance and upkeep of laboratory equipment and associated space.
• May be appointed as a Lab Space Manager (LSM) or otherwise required to help perform LSM duties when requested.
• Possesses the ability to run one or more projects as a technical lead.
• Ability to adapt to new work assignments, and perform assignments outside area of expertise, while managing resources efficiently.
• Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• With minimal supervision, operates, maintains, and characterizes the performance of the equipment ensuring the reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Develops techniques, prepares samples and performs test according to appropriate SOPs.
• Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.