The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. NCAT works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in agriculture, food, and energy.
NCAT is seeking a Gulf States Regional Director based in our Jackson Mississippi office, which covers Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida. The regional director will lead the implementation of existing programs and development of new agriculture and food system projects serving regional farmers and communities, including limited-resource, historically disadvantaged, and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC). The director will manage the Gulf States staff, and provide direct assistance to farmers in adopting sustainable agricultural practices that improve soil health, address risks associated with climate change, and build more profitable farms. If you are a self-directed leader with strong knowledge of agriculture and skills in management, communication, and project development, this is a great opportunity for you! This regular, full-time position is located in NCAT’s office in Jackson, Mississippi. This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on a national level.
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a BA/BS degree in agriculture, agronomy, soil biology, horticulture, natural resource management, agroforestry, animal science, or a related field along with a minimum of nine years of farming and/or relevant experience; or an MA/MS degree and a minimum of seven years of farming and/or relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Management experience is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission.
· Vast knowledge of agriculture in the Gulf States, agriculture related organizations and government agencies with extensive experience working with and serving limited-resource, historically disadvantaged, and BIPOC farmers and farmer support organizations in the Gulf States region.
· Proven experience and demonstrated success in collaborating with limited-resource and BIPOC farmers.
· Strong understanding of integrated farming systems, concepts of sustainability and environmentally friendly, regenerative agricultural practices, programs, issues, and concepts.
· Robust knowledge of commercial agriculture relevant to specialty crops, field crops, cover crops, horticulture, agroforestry, natural resource management, farm marketing, and farm business management.
· Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, with experience in public speaking, presentation, writing, editing and research.
· The ability to build relationships and partnerships with farmers, ranchers, community organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and other partners.
· Ability to recognize and pursue new business development opportunities and to design programs and projects.
· Strong grant and proposal writing skills.
· Ability to coordinate and manage projects.
· Ability to lead, supervise, and manage staff, coordinate, and delegate work.
· Strong interest and knowledge of mission driven or non-profit organizations.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and social media platforms.
· Strong organizational and planning skills with attention to detail.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Ability to prioritize work assignments and to complete tasks in a timely manner.
· Ability to travel, as some travel will be required.
· Promote and support NCAT’s mission.
· Develop and secure funding for sustainable agriculture programs and projects in the Gulf States, including proposal and grant writing with a strong focus on serving historically disadvantaged communities.
· Manage NCAT’s Gulf States Regional programs, projects, and staff.
· Plan, supervise, and evaluate project efforts. Manage projects to ensure project work and deliverables are being met.
· Assist with developing and implementing NCAT’s strategic plan.
· Serve as a member of the Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development (SARC) Management Team, joining with SARC Program Manager and other regional directors to coordinate and implement projects.
· Provide regionally appropriate technical assistance to farmers by phone, email, social media, workshops, and field demonstrations.
· Create educational materials such as publications, videos, podcasts, and online webinars and tutorials.
· Work with Communications team to increase awareness of NCAT activities, role and mission with constituents, partners, policy makers, funders and other stakeholders, promote workshops and events with a goal of improving technical services to farmers and increasing NCAT’s visibility. Outreach activities include writing newsletters, blog posts, press releases, workshop announcements, and attending and presenting at local and regional meetings and conferences.
· Build and strengthen relationships with partners and stakeholders.
· Liaise with farm and agriculture organizations and groups that assist farmers, particularly limited resource farmers.
· Collaborate with staff as a member of one or more technical teams in developing written materials and projects.
· Research sustainable agriculture topics to assist clients.
· Contribute to an efficient and positive work environment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $52,000 – $64,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional environment.
Applications will be accepted through May 20th, 2021, or until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged. Please explore NCAT or visit the ATTRA – Sustainable Agriculture Program website to learn more about NCAT and what we do.
All persons interested in being considered for the position must:
1. Upload a resume and cover letter through our BambooHR software.
Simply choose the position you are applying for and then click “apply for this job” to upload your materials. Don’t forget to highlight your experience and skills relevant to the qualifications, skills and responsibilities listed above.
2. Complete the NCAT Supplemental Application Information form;
Note: Incomplete applications or references on the application to “see resume” will not be considered.
NCAT’s mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve. NCAT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information about NCAT please visit our website at www.ncat.org.