The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is the leading independent nonprofit organization representing all patients and families affected by rare diseases. Come join our team and be part of the transformation and acceleration of research, and the development of evidence-based policy, care support and awareness campaigns to improve the lives of the 30 million Americans impacted by rare diseases. Follow NORD at www.rarediseases.org/ and on Twitter at @RareDiseases.
NORD has an amazing opportunity for a student (or recent graduate) interested in public health to join our non-profit Membership team. The intern will gain exposure to and be involved in multiple projects of the Membership Department, specifically Spanish-language (Hispanohablantes) outreach for its RareLaunch program. RareLaunch develops capacity-building training and resources as well as providing support to individuals affected by rare diseases who are striving to start a nonprofit organization for rare disease advocacy, research, and support. Projects will make use of the intern’s Spanish language and communication skills and help develop new skills s/he will need to build a successful career in public health, medicine, research, communications, diversity/equity/inclusion and/or nonprofit management. We can coordinate a schedule of 20-25 hours a week around the intern’s coursework.
- Effectively engaging Spanish-speaking (Hispanohablantes) community members in coordination with the RareLaunch program team to build and foster relationships
- Providing a high level of service to Spanish-speaking nonprofit leaders to support the development of their nonprofit infrastructure and programming
- Developing templates, procedures, and guidelines for Spanish-outreach processes
- Creating new and updating existing capacity-building resources for a Hispanohablantes audience
- Performing administrative duties for the department, as needed
Experience and Skill Set
This internship is ideal for candidates majoring in Non-Profit Management, Public Health, Communications/Marketing or Policy.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required; fluency in Spanish with language comprehension at a professional level preferred, (medical language comprehension a plus)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (English and Spanish)
- Knowledge in use of social media tools including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WhatsApp preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, OneDrive, and Teams in particular) preferred
- Strong professional and organizational skills
- Strong creative thinking and project execution skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and communications ability
- Must be team orientated with the ability to multi-task
- Interest in working with nonprofit organizations
Schedule & Location
Flexible schedule of 20-25 hours per week. This is a telecommuting role with some in-person community event attendance in the DC area.
NORD is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.