State of New Hampshire
Department of Transportation
Engineering Aide 1
Labor Grade 6: $12.53-13.58/hr
37-1/2 Hours per week
The State of New Hampshire, Department of Transportation has multiple vacancies in various bureaus for summer internships as an Engineering Aide 1.
To perform routine and non-technical work in the field, office or laboratory in connection with the investigation, location, design, construction, maintenance and operation of engineering projects; does related work as required.
- Prepare plans, designs, specifications and quantity estimates for highway, bridge or maintenance projects;
- Conduct technical analyses, perform calculations, and review engineering data for: highway, structural, drainage or utility designs; land surveys, geotechnical engineering; geological features; or for active construction projects;
- Perform physical or chemical testing of construction materials in a field or laboratory setting;
- Conduct field investigations and data gathering to provide information for the preparation of engineering, materials, environmental, research, construction, asset management or transportation planning related reports or studies;
- Assist in construction contract administration, performing field inspection for activities such as: drainage installation; paving or concrete placement; or earthwork operations; to ensure work is performed to plans and specifications
- Collect, process, and review traffic data for reporting needs or for performing traffic engineering analyses, such as for evaluating speed zones, signal warrants, signal timing and phasing, lane use, markings, and forecasting traffic.
- Inspect maintenance related work, such as landscaping, pavement resurfacing, and snow and ice removal
- Investigate and research collected data for the creation of written reports, studies, or maps in a GIS application
- Utilize software applications to create or manipulate drawings, databases, spreadsheets, documents, etc.
- Develop scripts in Python, SQL, C#, .NET, etc. to process and analyze data.
Education: Graduation from high school, G.E.D. or its equivalent.
Experience: No experience required.
License/Certification: None required.
- Offers of employment may be conditional upon receipt of a negative result on pre-placement urinalysis controlled substance test.
- Must participate in controlled substance and alcohol testing program, which includes random, reasonable cause, return to duty and follow-up testing.
- Applicants are subject to a New Hampshire criminal record background check.
- All accountabilities must be performed in accordance with State and Department rules and policies, including risk management, safety and environmental standards, regulations and administrative orders.
* Engineering Aide interns report to a Civil Engineer and work closely with an Engineering Technician. An intern’s work is reviewed by the appropriate professional within the chain of command within the bureau in which the Engineering Aide is placed.
For additional information, contact Krista Robichaud, Training and Recruitment Specialist, at 603-271-8026 or at email@example.com.