DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Communications is responsible for developing effective messaging and communication strategies. In this role, they will create or oversee the creation of promotional and informative materials the office will send to the public, produce internal office communications as needed, work with all forms of media, including press releases and digital campaigns, print materials, social media, audio and video and more.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Plan and implement all communications including press releases, statements, op-eds via news media relations; traditional, social, and digital media; and other communications strategies and initiatives, as needed.
· Lead writing and editing of press releases, media advisories, op-eds, and letters to the editor, e-blasts, talking points, and other media materials.
· Field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, producers, hosts and bloggers. Develop and pitch stories, manage press calls, and track media coverage.
· Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders.
· Develop, cultivate, and maintain relationships with journalists in mainstream, local, and ethnic media.
· Secure television media and journalists for all functions.
A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field is preferred; News media relationships with local, city and statewide media highly desired; Four+ years of professional experience that regularly involved writing, editing, developing messaging and brand strategy; Relevant communications experience, particularly media relations or digital and social media, preferably in a nonprofit advocacy context; Excellent oral, public speaking, and written communications skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
New York City Residency Required within 90 days of appointment.