The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking a highly motivated intern to join our data science team, a part of the larger NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array™, a robotic system that automates both human pluripotent stem cell derivation, gene editing, downstream differentiations and assays. In this role, you will engage in a range of projects spanning aspects of human biology and, primarily, high content imaging. While based within the data-science team, you will interact with, amongst others, biologists, software developers and hardware engineers.
This is a paid remote internship with a minimum requirement of 20 hours per week. Must be eligible to work in the United States.
What you’ll do
- Perform pre-processing, post-processing, segmentation and related tasks to imaging datasets
- Implement Deep learning networks for object detection and classification
- Implement Deep learning networks for semantic segmentation
- Develop and implement pipelines for end-to-end processing of large imaging datasets
What we’re looking for
- You must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited institution, and also have completed at least one year as a matriculating undergraduate student at the time of the internship. Recent college graduates and graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- You must be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien at the time of applying or a foreign applicant with appropriate visa documentation, as required by U.S. Immigration, valid for the course of the Internship.
- You’ll need to have a strong knowledge of Python programming language. Demonstrated proficiency and experience with programming in languages like R is desired. If you have experience in code optimization and refactoring that will be a plus
- If you have experience with image process libraries (such as CV2, skimage, or PIL) or machine learning libraries (such as PyTorch, tensor flow, or Keras) that will be a plus.
- You should have an interest in stem cell research and have a basic knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- You must be able to commit to 20+ hours minimum per week for this internship.
- You should have a strong interest in computer vision and ideally experience working with real-world problems alongside familiarity with image processing and machine learning. If you have experience with biological data and imaging that will be a plus.
- NYSCF will supply equipment for the span of the internship
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our Research Institute facility is a fully COVID-19 vaccinated workplace.