The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking a Laboratory Intern to join the Oncology Research Team. This group is creating a preclinical platform for personalized medicine using human 3D tumor models and integrating molecular and pharmacological features to enable patient-specific therapy testing.
This is a paid onsite internship with a minimum requirement of 20 hours per week. Must be eligible to work in the United States.
What you’ll do:
- Perform human tissue culture to maintain organoid models of ovarian cancer
- Molecular biology – DNA, RNA extraction, sample preparations
- Mining whole exome sequencing data from primary tissues and organoid models
- Perform ex vivo assays to support research projects
- Data analysis and presentation of results to the Oncology team.
What we’re looking for:
- You are interested in stem cell research, cancer genetics, and basic knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- You must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited institution, and also have completed at least one year as a matriculating undergraduate student at the time of the internship. Recent college graduates and graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- You must be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien at the time of applying or a foreign applicant with appropriate visa documentation, as required by U.S. Immigration, valid for the course of the Internship.
- You have an interest in research involving both bench-based work and bioinformatics.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience with programming in languages like Python and R are strongly desired.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is a plus. Experience with any of the following is also a plus: molecular biology techniques (genomic DNA and RNA extraction), cell imaging, flow cytometry or other in vitro cell-based assays.
- Experience and knowledge of bioinformatics tools (such as samtools / GATK tools and bioinformatics data handling (especially in NextGenSequencing) is a plus.
- High proficiency in both Mac and PC, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required.
- Must be able to commit 20 hours a week onsite at our location in Manhattan.
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our Research Institute facility is a fully COVID-19 vaccinated workplace.