As an intern you will work alongside MW&S (Maintenance of Way and Structures) field crews, officers and staff on a variety of projects. Interns will be placed by the department in one of three settings line maintenance, program maintenance, or bridges and buildings. Primary duties include assisting MW&S crews and officers with performing track inspections and maintenance on line of road, yard locations and system gangs. Student will learn train and track dynamics, track inspection, construction and maintenance operations, and much more. Interested applicants must have a desire to work outdoors in a hands-on, predominately field-oriented position. The goal of the program is to expose students to the day to day operations in our Maintenance of Way and Structures Department.
What makes a successful intern in Maintenance of Way?
- A self-starter who can work with little direct supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work under pressure
- General hands-on knowledge of pneumatic and hydraulic equipment is helpful, with good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree
- Preferred Degree Paths: Civil Engineering, Mining Engineering, Construction Management
- Freshman (27 or fewer credits) – $2,500/month
- Sophomore (28 to 59 credits) – $2,800/month
- Junior (60 to 89 credits) – $3,000 /month
- Senior (90 or more credits) – $3,300/month
- Graduate Student – $3,666/month
*Living stipend of $850/month is available to those who qualify.
- Training locations include:
Alliance, OH; Atlanta, GA; Bellevue, OH; Birmingham, AL; Bluefield, WV; Bryan, OH; Chattanooga, TN; Chicago, IL; Christiansburg, VA; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Columbia, PA; Conway, PA; Cresson, PA; Dalton, GA; Danville, KY; Dayton, TN; Decatur, IL; Detroit, MI; Elkhart, IN; Enola, PA; Front Royal, VA; Ft. Wayne, IN; Gainesville, GA; Granite City, IL; Greensboro, NC; Greenville, SC; Harriman, TN; Harrisburg, PA; Hattiesburg, MS; Kansas City, MO; Knoxville, TN; Lafayette, IN; Leechburg, PA; Linwood, NC; Lock Haven, PA; Lynchburg, VA; Macon, GA; McDonough, GA; Meridian, MS; Moberly, MO; Narrows, VA; Norfolk, VA; Pittsburgh, PA; Portage, IN; Raleigh, NC; Richlands, VA; Roanoke, VA; Rockmart, GA; Sandusky, OH; Shelbyville, KY; Somerset, KY; St. Louis, MO; Tallapoosa, GA; Toledo, OH; Valdosta, GA; Vance, AL; Waynesburg, PA
- Willing to relocate anywhere throughout our 22 state network for the duration of the internship
- Work between the hours of 7 AM to 4 PM Monday – Friday plus additional hours as required, including occasional overnight travel
- Able to work outside and be on your feet daily