As a senior member of our Technical Services team, the Senior Technical Support Specialist will work with U.S. and international customers in the renewable energy industry to address technical inquiries associated with NRG’s range of products, which utilize smart technologies for global resource sustainability and climate challenges, including data loggers, meteorological sensors, and remote sensing devices. The key focus of this team-oriented position is to work autonomously on responding to technical inquiries about NRG products, product troubleshooting, training customers, and to serve as a resource to other members of the team and other departments.
This position operates at a high level of complexity in problem-solving and with high stakes customer Base. This position will provide input on product development and research emerging technologies. This position will interact with a diverse customer base that includes field technicians/installers, renewable energy developers, utilities, academic institutions, and governments, and will also interface on a regular basis with other internal departments such as Engineering, Sales, Marketing and Manufacturing. This position serves as a technical expert and reliable resource on one or more product areas within the company.
This position directly reports to the Technical Services Manager and provides guidance and training to junior members of the team. This position will work in partnership with his or her team to achieve the goals of the Technical Services department plan that are in line with the company’s strategic plan and its values, culture, and philosophies.
Technical Services Responsibilities
- Provide timely support to customers over phone and email, including answering general technical questions, instructing on product use and installation, product troubleshooting, reviewing data, and recommending solutions
- Oversee the troubleshooting of complex product or customer challenges, which may involve managing an interdepartmental team, designing, and conducting tests, and/or in-depth data analysis
- Identify deficiencies and areas for improvement in NRG products, document them, and work with the Engineering team on solutions
- Represent the customers’ perspective when working with non-customer-facing departments, effectively communicating the customers’ needs and experiences
- Take the lead in conducting product training for customers and other NRG employees both on and off-site, including travel to international customers. Training can range from 1-on-1 in-field demonstrations to seminars with over 50 attendees.
- Develop customer training programs for new products.
- Serve as a technical lead on one or more product areas, being a point person within the company for technical questions related to that product
- Participate in new product testing, including hardware and software.
- Develop tools for processing, visualizing, interpreting, and analyzing data collected from NRG devices for internal and external use. Contribute to open-source software repositories including nrgpy.
- Monitor data collection and analyze meteorological data from internal R&D sites and customer sites with data service contracts
- Maintain in-depth product knowledge on NRG’s complete product line, including meteorological sensors, data loggers, iPacks (communication devices), towers, software, remote sensing devices, and wind plant optimization technologies.
- Oversee field installations and service.
- Represent NRG at industry events, such as trade shows and workshops. Support members of the Sales and Marketing teams as a technical representative at customer/stakeholder meetings.
- Develop standardized internal departmental and inter-departmental processes. Write, review, and maintain department procedures and work instructions.
- Write, review, and maintain customer-facing documentation, including product manuals and instructions.
- Serve on Continuous Improvement Teams.
- Contribute to internal department references, including the team Wiki.
- Provide input on sales quotes, contracts, and proposals for technical services (data services, equipment rental, training, and field service).
- Two-year or four-year college degree, preferably in a technical field
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience, preferably in a manufacturing, engineering, or customer service environment, with at least 2 years’ experience in a technical support role.
- High level of expertise with Microsoft Office programs and strong computer proficiency
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing
- Technical aptitude – in-depth knowledge of electronics, cellular communications technology, meteorological data collection, remote sensing and/or renewable energy technology required
- Programming experience with at least one programming language (Python preferred)
- High level of autonomy and initiative required
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse domestic and international customer base
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Professional and dependable manner
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with strong attention to detail
- Honesty, humility, and accountability
- Ability to speak a foreign language is a plus
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Majority of work performed in a climate-controlled office environment
- Primary duties performed in a seated position
- Occasional heavy lifting during fieldwork
- Occasional work performed outside in potentially harsh environmental conditions
- Travel up to 20%.