IMPORTANT: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
Job ID: 487850
Business Title: Exemptions Data Analyst
Civil Service Title: CITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Title Level: 2
Title Classification: Non-Competitive
Division/Work Unit: A/C Prop Exemp Adm
Proposed Salary: $75,504 – $86,830 (Annual)
# of Positions: 1
The Property Exemptions Administration reviews, processes, and manages the applications for all exemptions and abatements awarded to commercial and industrial properties, residential multi-family construction, new one- to two-family construction, government entities and non-profits, homeowners, and senior and disabled renters.
The Property Exemptions Administration (PEA) division’s Data Analytics and Program Evaluation (DAPE) team is seeking one individual with strong analytical skills to serve as the Exemption Data Analyst. The DAPE unit is responsible for integrating data analysis into the business operation of the division. The main goals of the unit are to establish the environment where efficient data analysis is performed on the modern platform; to develop and standardize statistical analysis and periodic reporting; to support the division-wide effort to evaluate and enhance program operations based on the current and evolving business needs; to provide data analysis to help establish the compliance mechanism; and to provide policy analysis and recommendations from operational perspectives.
The ideal candidate would possess strong analytical skills as well as solid computer programming skills; enjoys working with data; is keen on analyzing complex systems/issues and providing creative solutions; and are self-starters and detail oriented.
The selected candidate will perform long-term research, investigations, data analysis, and evaluation of program operations. The candidate will identify specific problems and patterns of noncompliance as well as under utilization and provide recommendations for improvement.
Reporting to the Director of DAPE, responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct extensive analyses of property exemption related data, such as data on property valuation, tax exemptions and abatements, income tax, real property transfer tax, and Social Security Administration deaths, and Census data.
- Perform statistical data analysis to evaluate program operations and their efficiencies as well as efficacies.
- Contribute towards research reports published by DOF.
- Provide business analysis to identify the areas of improvement to be made and offer a set of recommendations.
- Aid the compliance effort to validate exemption recipients’ qualifications.
- Provide periodic and ad hoc reporting. Develop clear and concise reports and measurements.
- Provide SAS programming or another programming language to develop analytic datasets, using extremely large datasets. Data preparation steps include cleaning and testing the data, creatively solving problems, and to manipulating and restructuring the data.
- Present the analysis to senior staff in Property Division, as well as to senior management in DOF.
- Prepare procedure manuals, reports and documentation.
- May supervise subordinate staff conducting research/analysis on specific problems in program operations.
Minimum Qual Requirements:
- For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
- A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least a master’s degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in “2” above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in “1” and “2” above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
- Minimum of three years of responsible full-time research experience in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science
- Proficiency using SAS or another programming language (Stata, R, SPSS or others)
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills
- Experience using relational databases, data mining and extracting data using SQL
- Experience with statistical sampling, econometric data modeling techniques and regression analyses
- Experience using ArcGIS or other geographic information systems software
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Willingness to learn new software on their own
- Ability to follow instructions and interact with people at all levels. Must be able to work well in a team environment as well as work individually with minimal supervision
- Ability to solve problems creatively
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills. Be able to communicate clearly and effectively and present the materials in concise manners
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines without compromising the integrity of the work/products
- Ability to learn the complex property tax system and exemption programs and related business rules
- Professionalism, integrity and positive work ethic
In compliance with Federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Click the “Apply” button on the top right hand corner to be directed to nyc.gov/jobs and be able to submit your resume/cover letter. While we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Unless otherwise indicated, all positions require a five-day workweek.
59 Maiden Lane – New York, NY 10038
(Current location but could be subject to change)
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Position Posted Until: 10/21/2021