The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
We are hiring a Staff Accountant who will be a member of our five-person Finance team and will be responsible for numerous accounting processes for the organization including AR/AP input, GL reconciliation and month end close.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Processing accounts payable and receivable processes including:
- Processing and reviewing manual checks and ACH payments
- Grant receivables, contributions, and pledges
- Booking all journal entries for month end close
- Reconciling bi-weekly payroll
- Monitoring operating cash account
- Developing and implementing A/P and A/R process improvements
- Completing balance sheet and revenue account reconciliations
- Reviewing and analyzing expense data from Concur and entering data by department and expense type into company accounting software
- Performing yearly Audit prep
- Ensuring data integrity and accuracy
- Researching and resolving accounting discrepancies/issues as needed
- Reviewing and analyzing financial statements to complete monthly, quarterly, and year end close process
- Assisting in processing 1099’s
- Ad hoc projects as needed
- 2-4 years accounting experience preferably in the non-profit sector
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel (required)
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and be a team player
- Strong decision-making ability
- Great communication and organization skills
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of the Concur and MIP accounting system
- Knowledge of Salesforce
- Knowledge of processing 1099 form
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/lj0tp0ZSa1/Staff-Accountant and upload the following application materials (preferably in pdf format): copy and paste a cover letter, upload a resume, and upload contact information for three references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure your application is reviewed.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.