The U.S. Combat Capabilities Development Command, Chemical Biological Center (DEVCOM CBC) is offering an internship at the Rock Island, Illinois facility.
What will I be doing?
Why should I apply?
Under the guidance of a mentor, you will gain hands-on experience, attend specialized classes and technical seminars to complement your education and support your academic and professional goals. During your appointment you will learn how to apply the KSA for developing software in the DoD environment and develop data auditing routines that adhere to the the Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) for Application Software. In addition, your mentor will develop personal learning objectives in accordance to your professional goals.
Additional learning objectives will include:
- Apply communication skills to understand requirements, use cases, and propose new and innovative solutions to business analysts, and software development team leaders.
- Experience unit testing in a Microsoft development environment and have the opportunity to propose improvements to software code unit testing.
- Acquire skills developing information system user role functions, data integrity, and application availability monitoring and reporting.
- Analyze, evaluate, and provide briefings on new technology proposals, trends, and concepts with emphasis on cybersecurity and system improvements
Where will I be located?
Rock Island, Illinois
What is the anticipated start date?
The DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center is ready to make appointments immediately. Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and internships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified.
This appointment is a 12-month, part-time research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center. Stipends are typically based on a participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
You will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DoD, or any other office or agency. Instead, you will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
About DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center
The DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center is the primary Department of Defense technical organization for non-medical chemical and biological defense. DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center possesses an unrivaled chemical biological research and development infrastructure with scientists, engineers, technician, and specialists located at four different sites in the United States. DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center has a unique role in technology development that cannot be duplicated by private industry or research universities. It fosters research, development, testing, and application of technologies for protecting Warfighters, first responders, and the nation from chemical and biological warfare agents. For more information about the DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center, please visit https://www.cbc.ccdc.army.mil/.
Candidates should be actively pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree with the intent to graduate between May 2021 – May 2024 in one of the following areas: Computer Information System, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related information technology degree. Associate degree candidates will also be considered. Please note: undergraduate students must be Registar Office documented sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a SECRET clearance is required. While participants will not enter into an employment relationship with DoD or any other agency, this opportunity will require a suitability investigation/background investigation. Any offer made is considered tentative pending favorable outcome of the investigation.
- Currently have, or obtain within 6 months from starting the opportunity with the government, one of the following DoD 8570.01-M IAT Level I Certifications: A+ CE – CCNA-Security – CND – Network+ CE – SSCP
- Complete a computing environment course such as a Microsoft Developer course within 6 months from starting the opportunity.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Currently pursuing an Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree, or Doctoral Degree to be received by 5/31/2024 11:59:00 PM.
- Overall GPA: 3.00