The US Army Garrison – Fort Bliss is located in El Paso, Texas, specializing in strategic deployment platforms that execute deployment operations, enabling rapid and efficient unit deployment and re-deployment. Fort Bliss also provides facilities and services through a professional workforce that assists units in sustaining their readiness and promotes a safe and secure installation, empowering Soldiers, Families, and Civilians to thrive. The Directorate of Human Resources-Workforce, Administrative Services and Security Division (DHR-WASSD) supports Fort Bliss with management and oversight of the following departments: civilian workforce services, information technology support, workforce development, and knowledge management which plays a role within all installation services and communication.
Under the mentorship of the DHR-WASSD Chief and the Knowledge Management (KM) Specialist, DHR-WASSD will be offering an ORISE learning opportunity. This opportunity will focus on researching current best practices within the technology environment and applying the identified best practices to various Garrison-owned knowledge-sharing platforms. The ORISE participant will routinely support and perform tasks using various types of KM web applications and software. The participant will learn to execute plans to support and promote KM and maintain the continuous development of new organizational and online communities of practice, which will include: the development of training curriculum, the development of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), and collaboration with the Network Enterprise Center (NEC) on required technological software to facilitate KM digital applications.
Additional learning objectives will include:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Power App Studio, InfoPath, and Active Navigation to support virtual records management
- Establishing virtual workspaces for the transfer and sharing of lessons learned, best practices, and operational experiences
- Ability to apply knowledge management and information management best practices to enhance information flow through digital platforms and processes
- Applying the methods of digitally harnessing and archiving information related to records/information management
- Full understanding of digital platforms and technology-based programs, gaining the experience to map processes and incorporate them into knowledge management systems to ensure consistency of business practices (both old and emerging) across the command
This appointment is a 12-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by USAG. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
While participants will not enter into an employment relationship with DOD or any other agency, this opportunity will require a suitability investigation/background investigation. Any offer made is considered tentative pending favorable outcome of the investigation.
- Familiarity with KM tools, content, processes and initiatives
- Skilled in utilizing databases, portal sites, and SharePoint sufficient to develop queries, create and update databases and portal sites, create SharePoint sites, maintain document libraries, lists, and WSS site collections, and assign permissions.
- Experience in developing metric deliverables and reporting of metadata for leadership.
- Ability to collaboratively and effectively engage with higher headquarters and other agencies in the community.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, establish priorities and work in an organized manner
- Experience with community coalitions and strategic multi-disciplinary committees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 60 months or currently pursuing.
- Overall GPA: 2.00