We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will contribute to the development of modeling framework and support process development for various additive manufacturing (AM) processes. This position resides in the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division (CSED) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). CSED focuses on transdisciplinary computational science and analytics at scale to enable scientific discovery across the physical sciences, engineered systems, and biomedicine and health. It provides foundations and advances in quantum information sciences to enable quantum computers, devices, and networked systems. It develops community applications, data assets, and technologies and provides assurance to build knowledge and impact in novel, crosscut-science outcomes.
The candidate will be a postdoctoral researcher within the Multiscale Materials (MM) group of the Advanced computing methods for Physical Sciences Section in CSED. The MM group is focused on delivering multiscale, multi-fidelity computational models and systems using algorithms and analytics for materials and related physical sciences for a broad range of energy, transportation, and advanced manufacturing applications. The MM group also houses specific strengths in direct numerical simulations (DNS) of interfacial and reacting flows, relevant to material synthesis and manufacturing.
- Participate in design and development of integrated, physics-based multi-scale codes, implementation of scalable numerical methods, and follow team planning, documentation, verification and validation, and software quality processes.
- Contribute to the development of solid mechanics and metallurgical phase transformation models relevant to AM.
- Participate in development of modeling framework for various AM processes including large-scale metal direct energy deposition (DED) and/or hybrid AM processes.
- Collaborate within a multi-disciplinary research environment consisting of computational scientists, experimentalists, and engineers conducting basic and applied research in support of the Laboratory’s missions.
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, and reports for internal and external release as well as represent the organization via technical presentations in workshops and conferences.
- Ph.D. in materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, welding engineering, or a field relevant to the job duties within the past 5 years.
- Extensive experience in the development and application of simulation tools for AM application
- Demonstrated expertise in design and implementation of multi-physics codes for complex metal AM applications, including thermal, material and mechanical response
- Experience with large-scale simulations on high performance computing systems
- Experience in process development for medium or large-scale AM
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary research environment
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, a proven publication record, and effective interpersonal skills
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.