Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Manufacturing Automation and Controls Group in the Manufacturing Science Division (MSD), Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will focus on Robotics and Controls.
- Conduct R&D projects and support the expansion of R&D in Direct Energy Deposition and metal additive manufacturing
- Support efforts to improve the metal DED AM process efficiency with focus on system integration, energy efficiency, and optimization
- Interact with material scientists to advance understanding of DED-based metallurgy.
- Develop new applications of Robotics and Automation in Manufacturing and other areas of ORNL mission
- Develop Robotics applications outside of manufacturing automation
- Mentor students and interns
- Network and develop collaborative R&D with other groups and divisions internally and with DOE, industry, and utilities
- Prepare and present research results to sponsors, peer reviewers, members of local, state, and federal government, and to a general audience at technical meetings
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or related with focus on controls, robotics, automation, mechatronics with a strong orientation on practical implementation completed within the last 5 years
- Understanding of automation and robotics in aspects of inverse/forward kinematics, motion control, process control and system integration
- Programming skills allowing to implement robotics concepts in software
- Basic CAD modelling skills
- Ability to directly apply scientific methods to solve engineering problems
- Flexibility and willingness to explore, adapt, and synthesize aspects of other scientific fields into the needs of large scale metal additive manufacturing
- Knowledge of relevant public and private stakeholders
- Frequent domestic travel and possibly international travel
- Experience in C/C++/Java or similar
- Experience in LabView
- Knowledge of CAD software
- Experience with industrial robots
- Understanding of the AM process and its challenges
- Experience with TIG/MIG or laser welding process
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.