Associate in Engineering 1 – Construction Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 1
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor’s Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.
Are you building a career in engineering? Join our team and represent the project manager on the work site and inspect work as it’s being performed. You will also work in the office on contract administration. Apply today!
This is a limited duration appointment that may last up to one year. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. This position has the potential to become permanent.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Review pre-award contract documentation. Ensure review comments are addressed.
- During work, interpret contract documentation, anticipate potential problems and propose solutions.
- Inspect construction work to assure materials and work are in line with plans.
- Review contractor’s pollution and erosion controls against environmental permits and biological requirements.
- Measure and record contractor’s work and prepare source documentation to support payment.
- Monitor project safety procedures, including traffic control, and attend contractor safety meetings.
- Spot check survey stakes, grades, stations, locations and alignments before materials are placed.
- Lead field and office teams in documenting quality and quantity of work and materials, verifying payments to contractors and assembling records for final acceptance.
- Prepare and submit project documentation and reports, including daily progress reports, photographs and “as-built” documentation.
- May work long, flexible hours, including weekends and holidays and being on call 24/7.
- Travel and possibly stay overnight away from office.
- Work at project sites may involve hazardous weather, traffic or construction conditions.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
A Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Transportation-related Engineering.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
The State of Oregon is requiring all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series by Oct. 18, 2021, unless the employee receives a medical or religious exception. New employees must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception by Oct. 18, 2021. For more information, visit our policy listed here.