About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to be the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. By eliminating this harmful waste from the environment, we can sustainably create valuable new materials.
We started with the humble beginnings of a few friends in a backyard, thinking of how they can fix this broken system of metals production. Now, Phoenix Tailings has become one of the top sustainability startups in the world. A Techstars Boston 2020 company with funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has demonstrated early success in our clean mining mission.
We still have a long way to go to achieve this mission. However, it’s our belief that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who has the desire to better the world, to resolve environmental problems with a global impact, and you are excited about solving the problems and challenges that come with building a startup, this is the place for you.
- You are only crazy if you are wrong
- It’s ok to be wrong
- Lead with Compassion
- Be Resourceful
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are on the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
What you will do
- Design and fabricate prototypes and fixtures for process experiments
- Conduct laboratory-scale experiments and iterate on designs
- Clearly report results under the guidance of the R&D team
- Detailed documentation of designs, bill of materials, process methods, and results
- Communicate with vendors and engineers to source materials for fabrication
- Assist with design and fabrication of prototype and equipment for scale-up capabilities
- Assist with integration, repairs, and technical improvements of equipment
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized working environment
- Execute SOPs and protocols for laboratory and small scale reactors
What you have
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and ideas effectively
- Ability to work independently on projects with minimal supervision
- Excited about new learning opportunities and tackling challenges that come up
- Current student at an accredited university pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Coursework or experience with rapid prototyping tools
- Coursework or research experience in a chemical laboratory preferred
- Knowledge and interest in sustainability, especially in materials, metals, and mining preferred
At Phoenix Tailings, we are revolutionizing the ways in which raw materials are produced. We dream of a world that produces materials sustainably and free of waste. Come join us on our mission to create a zero-waste world!