Health Policy Advocacy Internship
If you are a recent graduate or a graduate student who is passionate about improving health policy through communications and advocacy, the Pyxis Partners Internship Program offers a unique opportunity for professional growth and learning. Pyxis Partners focuses on health policy issues of national importance, such as prescription drug pricing, women’s reproductive rights, and addressing the opioid crisis. The firm also specializes in hands-on work dedicated to increasing diversity in biomedical research.
Our interns are enthusiastic, innovative and strategic thinkers with excellent verbal and written communications skills. Interns are team players and have a strong commitment to our clients. They also bring a sense of humor and enjoy having fun.
The Pyxis Partners Internship Program affords young professionals the opportunity to:
- Attend health hearings and conferences, featuring the most influential experts in the field;
- Gain firsthand experience working on a variety of projects designed to communicate and advocate for specific policies in health and healthcare reform;
- Join Pyxis Partners’ political consultants as they lobby on Capitol Hill;
- Experience how the academic study of policy and advocacy work translates into real-life projects and initiatives;
- Advocate across a broad spectrum of health issues; and
- Learn valuable insights into professional office culture that will prepare you for any future career path.
Qualifications: Graduate degree preferred, or currently enrolled in a graduate-level program. Ability to translate and broadly communicate complex research, policy and legislation topics for a variety of audiences. Experience on Capitol Hill a plus, but not required.
When: Summer / Fall 2021; 20-25 hours/week
Responsibilities: Interns with Pyxis Partners perform a variety of tasks that support our staff, including legislative, media, research, policy, and administrative work.
Legislative tasks may include:
- Legislative research, including assembling information for clients related to federal or state-level legislation;
- Monitoring federal legislative hearings and mark-ups, either online or in-person, for the purposes of tracking specific legislative policy initiatives pertinent to the client’s agenda or Pyxis
- Partners work; and
- Compiling and assembling client briefing materials for Capitol Hill or Administration visits/meetings (and, occasionally, attending those meetings).
Media tasks may include:
- Monitoring publications (including National Journal, Politico, The Hill, and several health policy-related publications) for relevant news stories, related to client interests and activities.
Research and Policy task may include:
- Research on state and federal health activities;
- Compose briefing papers and legislative memos; and
- Research on health care reform specific to how it impacts a client’s areas of interest
Administrative tasks may include:
- Compiling and assembling information requested by clients, as necessary;
- Review of both client and Pyxis Partners documents; and
- Assisting with general client meeting planning tasks.
Qualities Sought: Ability to work in a high-paced environment, enthusiasm, commitment, ability to work well with others, interest in issue areas, open-mindedness, excellent research skills and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, effective verbal and written communication skills, and a sense of humor.
Skills Needed: Proficient with Microsoft Office, prefer a candidate with knowledge of social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Course Credit/Stipend: Pyxis Partners will gladly work with the student’s academic department to ensure the internship meets course requirements, which may earn the student course credit for the experience. Intern is responsible for furnishing Pyxis Partners with details of the course requirements, in order to ensure the experience aligns with the required objectives. The internship provides a monthly stipend.
About Us: Pyxis Partners is a public policy advocacy and consulting firm dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients. We believe that good policy ideas are created when individuals are given a voice and that sound public policy drives progress. We strive to align, advocate for and advance such policy to improve health outcomes.
Our team and record of effectiveness demonstrate that achieving policy change takes a combination of high-level government experience, an understanding of people’s struggles, a network of strong relationships, keen analytical and listening skills, and the relentless commitment to find fresh, creative approaches to addressing issues.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, two brief (1-3 pages, approx.) writing samples and a minimum of two professional references to email@example.com specifying Summer / Fall 2021 Health Policy Advocacy Internship in the subject line. Please have one writing sample include a policy position paper or a memo which outlines specific policy recommendations.
Pyxis Partners is an equal opportunity employer affording all employees and job applicants’ fair and equal treatment. Pyxis Partners complies with the letter and spirit of all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination, including discrimination based on race, age, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities.