The individual will generate physical safety reviews to manage the risks inherent in the design and end-use of consumer products. The safety reviews will support new product development projects and updates to maintain existing products on market. Responsibilities include evaluating experimental products, consumer placements, and marketable finished goods for physical safety hazards. Specific responsibilities include test plan development, industry standards application, risk assessment, documentation generation, and mentoring product development teams on physical safety aspects of company products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assessing consumer products for physical safety hazards: child resistance, can rupture, electric shock, fire, thermal burn, laceration, airway obstruction, etc.
- Providing internal teams with technical guidance to mitigate electrical, mechanical, chemical, and materials engineering dependent safety hazards
- Reviewing experimental products and consumer placements for physical safety concerns during the product development process
- Refining and maintaining current departmental processes and procedures
- Utilizing project-related information, product information, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), and technical literature to develop design hazard assessments for final determination of product approval
- Preparing communications to upper management during product investigations
- Participating in trade associations and/or industry task forces as assigned
- Coordinating product testing and certification with contract test facilities.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Packaging, or related degree.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and 1 to 3 years related experience
- Experience with global standards, regulatory requirements, hazard analysis, and risk assessment
- Experience in statistical analysis of data sets
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, including R&D, marketing, legal, public relations and regulatory agencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong formal presentation skills
- Experience with representation on industry task forces or standards committees is a plus
- Product Management systems experience (i.e. SAP Product Lifecycle Management)
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned
at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.