This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
California W80-1/W84 Stockpile Systems is seeking an Electrical Engineer (R&D S&E, Electrical Engineering) to contribute to ongoing development projects and operations. An EE is responsible in their domain of expertise for leading staff in day-to-day operations, trouble-shooting, and problem-solving with multidisciplinary teams across the Nuclear Security Enterprise; developing new assessment technology to deepen our understanding of safety and security performance; and interacting closely with the National Nuclear Security Administration and the Department of Defense to ensure that their needs are addressed.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related discipline plus 2 years of related experience or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related discipline, or equivalent: engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with DOE, NNSA, DOD, or Federally Funded Research and Development Centers; current DOE Q-level security clearance or equivalent; systems engineering experience; project management experience; or electrical engineering skills, such as analog, digital, embedded-system, communication system, or RF circuit design.
- Experience in independently designing, testing, and qualifying analog/digital systems.
- Experience in laboratory measurement techniques and diagnostics, computational simulation and modeling, integration of subsystems, fabrication of prototypes, and conductance of qualification tests.
About Our Team
The W80-1/W84 Systems Engineering Department has stockpile stewardship responsibility for the W80-1 and W84 warheads. Positions provide a Systems Engineering experience in a multidisciplinary working environment with engaging technical work for engineers of all specialties and levels. Through a robust program of scientific inquiry, a multidisciplinary engineering team is responsible for leading sustainment and assessment activities to ensure the safety and reliability of the stockpile. Stockpile Systems strives yearly to increase the quality and depth of its technical basis used to evaluate the system’s state of health, which culminates in an Annual Assessment Report sent to the President of the United States.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.