This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about providing support to end-users and using quality principles in the development of solutions? Are you open to learning new toolsets in order to grow the impact you have on the organization? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity.
We are seeking a Full Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer to develop Rails applications and support these applications for mission programs at Sandia National Laboratories.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Read, understand and implement algorithms
- Test, debug, and refine algorithms for use in web applications
- Prepare required documentation, including API documentation and code documentation
- Provide back end integration and productionization support to advance the technology readiness level (TRL) of products
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Management of Information Systems, or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years working in application development
- 1+ years developing web-based applications using Ruby on Rails across the full stack
- Experience using Agile development methodologies
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiar with Git
- Superb communication skills
- Familiar with Rails testing frameworks such as Rspec
- Experience orchestrating large data efforts via application development
- Experience integrating frontend and backend APIs to allow agnostic use of other frontend frameworks
- Experience working on mission-centric applications and interacting with all levels of internal and external personnel in a team environment
About Our Team
The Machine Intelligence & Application Engineering department is responsible for providing state-of-the-art technologies and expertise in machine learning and application development to mission programs. The department provides application development and support in cyber security, computer vision, complex systems, machine learning, high performance computing and other mission spaces in support of Sandia’s national security missions.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia’s discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.