This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Why Join Sandia’s Nuclear Deterrence programs? We develop advanced technologies to ensure global peace. Join us in our critical mission to ensure the safety, security, and reliability of our nation’s nuclear deterrents!
Do you love working at Sandia but want to try something new? Early- to mid-career R&D systems engineers with an electrical engineering background will find lots of opportunities in our W80-4 Life Extension Program.
When you join our team, you will be part of a diverse, collaborative group that values individual contributions and encourages a culture of respect for all. The work is challenging, dynamic, and it will require high accuracy. This career path offers unique opportunities for responsibility and ownership over engineering functions at all levels.
Systems Engineers contribute in the following ways:
- Assist with system-level design architecture and analysis that combines component parts and subsystems into a complete functional system
- Participate in test planning to verify requirements and qualify hardware
- Collaborate on maturation of requirements for specific areas or components
- Participate in integration activities with other systems engineers and product realization teams
- Provide technical consultations on critical design elements
- Prepare for presentations at technical design reviews
- Conduct or assist with cost account management
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2 or more years’ related experience; or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related discipline; or equivalent related experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Academic or job experiences in areas such as: engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Active U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working on systems or component requirements, design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Familiarity with engineering tools and languages such as PSpice, Cadence/OrCAD, DxDesigner, MATLAB, Simulink, C/C++ and Python
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, including the ability to develop and present briefings that are clear and compelling
- Ability to team well with others and listen to different perspectives
About Our Team
The W80-4 System Integration Departments are part of the Sandia/California Weapon Systems Engineering Center. The Weapon Systems Engineering Center is responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The W80-4 System Integration Departments are comprised of a group of dedicated and motivated engineers with advanced technical degrees, primarily in mechanical and electrical engineering. A major effort for this organization is the engineering design and development in support of a Life Extension Program for a nuclear warhead (W80-4). The W80-4 warhead will be deployed on the future U.S. Air Force Long Range Standoff (LRSO) cruise missile that will replace the existing Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM)/W80 Warhead weapon system in our nation’s nuclear deterrent stockpile. This is a long term program that will require close collaboration with many different departments within Sandia as well as with organizations outside of Sandia such as LLNL, NNSA, Production Facilities, and the Department of Defense (DoD).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start, or equivalent active security clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD). Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.