What is the Opportunity?
SMBC hosts a 10-week Summer Intern Program for undergraduate students who will have the opportunity to work on teams, be exposed to significant firm-wide projects within their respective business areas and support a range of deals with our clients.
We offer many different opportunities including building financial models, developing client presentations, conducting research, and observing client meetings – all to improve their understanding of the global banking industry.
Our Summer Intern Program is an excellent gateway to our full-time Analyst Program.
We are currently hiring into the following Sales & Trading areas:
Please only apply to one Summer Intern Program job opportunity, you will only be considered for ONE vertical.
- Check out all of our upcoming events herehttps://smbc.recsolu.com/external/events_central
- Join our Talent Community here https://smbc.recsolu.com/external/form/vTPZ-CCjAwKv33VEMC5JhQ
Derivatives Marketing, Risk & Trading
SMBC Capital Markets, Inc. is a derivatives trading company which was started in 1988 and is based in New York City, with offices in London and Hong Kong. SMBC Capital Markets, Inc. is an established derivatives dealer with a broad product portfolio, with specific emphasis on interest rates and foreign exchange products such as interest & FX swaps, FRAs, options, exotic products, commodity derivatives as well as exchange traded products such as treasury bonds, interest rate futures & options, currency futures, treasury futures & options, etc.
Equities Execution (EESG)
Equity Execution Services Group is the equity sales and trading department of SMBC Nikko Americas, Inc., a full-service brokerage firm. Our desk is composed of traders and sales traders each with decades of experience in US and other equity markets, as well as experience in equity-related products such as derivatives, electronic trading, program trading, proprietary trading, trading systems and fundamental analysis. We have extensive client relationships in North America and the rest of the world, and at this firm nurture and grow existing and new relationships with our unique market color and platform offering. This desk offers exposure to not only the secondary (public) side of sales and trading, but also insights into the Japanese client base, as well as corporate activities.
Fixed Income Sales & Trading (FIST)
SMBC Nikko’s Fixed Income Sales and Trading offers a broad range of investment services specifically tailored for institutional investors. Staffed with a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable professionals, our Fixed Income team offers deep economic insight, a wide array of product offerings, and seamless multi-currency executions. Our product line includes Corporate Bonds, Asset-Backed Securities, Collateralized Loan Obligations, Money Markets, Repo and other Fixed Income Products. The team is dedicated to providing superior solutions to the unique return and risk management needs of our clients.
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
– A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
– Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for U.S. businesses expanding in Asia
– A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
How Our Program Works
Our Summer Intern Program is designed for students who completed their junior year.
This 10-week program commences in June and includes:
– Training with on-the-desk experience
– Senior Speaker Series
– Japanese cultural activities
– Social networking activities
– Volunteer Day with a local nonprofit
– Mentorship opportunity with both a junior and senior mentor at SMBC
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
– Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2022 or May 2023; excellent academic record
– 3.2 GPA or higher
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely
– Financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills; keen interest in finance and markets
– Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
– Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
– Intellectual curiosity
– Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment
– Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
– Advanced Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications