The purpose of the Engineering Internship Program is to provide opportunities for hands-on learning to students who seek to apply theory and fundamentals in a real-world, fast-paced, team-based environment.
The Engineering Internship positions will be part of an interdisciplinary cohort of Interns who will each report to their respective Teams (e.g., Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Embedded Software Engineering, and Engineering Technician). These positions will be assigned tasks by their respective Teams, receive feedback from mentors, and collaborate cross-functionally with other cohort members.
- Take ownership for assigned tasks
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely and organized manner
- Facilitate your own learning
- Ask questions when you are stuck
- Integrate feedback from mentors
- Collaborate with other cohort members
- Active enrollment in a degree program in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, product design, or equivalent 4-year or post-graduate degree program
- Demonstrated passion for EVs
- 1-2 years experience on a Formula SAE Electric, Solar Car, Solar Decathlon, or other design and build competition team
- Interest in BMS technology
- Ability to work independently at times, but also thrive in a team environment
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and professional relationships
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to sit/stand for up to 8 hours at a time
Electrical Engineering Internship
- Design and build PCBA test fixtures for energy storage, consumer electronics, and EV products
- Bring-up new prototypes, supporting embedded software engineers from the hardware side
- Support jig and fixture development for in-house assembly
- Solid grasp of electrical engineering concepts & theory
- Experience with PCB design tools and developing printed circuit board assemblies
- Experience with circuit board bring-up, soldering, rework, debug, and testing
- Knowledge of best practices eg. noise filtering, ESD protection
- Experience with lab bench equipment, multimeter, oscilloscope, function generator, programmable load
- Experience with harnessing techniques, crimping
- Awareness of considerations for high voltage and high-current systems
- Working understanding of programming or scripting languages (C, C++, Python)
Mechanical Engineering Internship
- Design and develop solutions for electric vehicles, personal devices, and energy storage solutions
- Support jig and fixture development for in-house assembly of battery packs and personal devices
- Create testing plans for validating product and component-level performance
- CAD modeling experience (Solidworks preferred)
- Understanding of engineering principles: stress/strain, mechanics, heat transfer, basic power transfer
- Ability to perform basic structural and thermal analysis with Solidworks FEA
- Hands-on experience with shop tools such as CNC, milling, lathe, and 3D printers through school projects
Embedded Software Engineering Internship
- Develop embedded software for BMS, VCU, and Fleet Management products
- Develop driver code for various onboard and external devices
- Develop application code for electric vehicles, consumer products, and energy storage solutions
- Experience developing software in C or C++
- Experience developing software for microcontrollers (device driver development; SPI, I2C, GPIO, etc.)
- Automotive experience (sensor integration, actuator control, power control, etc.)
- Familiarity with working at the register / memory level when necessary to debug problems that may occur at the microcontroller / hardware level.
- Knowledge of Computer System operation. For example: basic hardware architecture, how memory is stored (stack, heap), and basic understanding of interrupt service routines
- Experience reading data sheets and electrical schematics.
- Familiarity with multimeters, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, signal analysis tools, and power supplies
- Basic understanding of electronics: familiarity with basic electronic components and electrical calculations
- Knowledge of object oriented design and design patterns
- Experience working with real-time operating systems
- Experience with revision control software: ex. Git, SVN
- Experience with ARM-based microcontrollers
- Experience working with electric vehicle powertrains
Stafl Systems Does Sponsor Work Visas
Stafl Systems requires candidates to be authorized to work for any employer in the United States. While we are able to sponsor H1-B visas for candidates, the candidate will be solely responsible for all associated legal fees.
Stafl Systems Does Not Work with Outside Recruiters/Recruiting Agencies
Stafl Systems does not work with outside recruiters or recruiting agencies to fill positions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply directly with Stafl Systems.
Stafl Systems, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.