The Solar PV Project Engineer provides design deliverables to support commercial and/or utility-scale solar electric systems. He/she will execute engineering and technical tasks of assigned projects from early stage site evaluation through complete permitted PV system design package and handover to Construction. While in construction the Engineer will provide technical support and quality inspections. The Solar PV Project Engineer will identify the most appropriate technical and material solutions for each project as well as perform detailed design calculations. Deliverables include equipment specifications, concept design drawings, site evaluation reports, completed interconnection forms, three-line electrical diagrams, final design drawings and specifications, and other supporting detail as required.
ABOUT STANDARD SOLAR:
Standard Solar, Inc. is a leader in the full-service development, construction, integration, financing and installation of solar electric systems.
As a leader in providing photovoltaic solutions to commercial and residential customers, Standard Solar offers a unique working environment where individual and team contributions are equally valued and rewarded.
Whether you are experienced in our industry or have a passion for renewable energy, we’re interested in talking with you about career opportunities with us. We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits that include:
- Health Coverage (Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision)
- 401(k) with Company Discretionary Matching
- Company Paid Short-Term Disability
- Company Paid Long-Term Disability
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off
- Business Casual Work Environment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design complete large-scale commercial or utility-scale PV systems, including but not limited to, mounting systems, electrical configurations, requisite wire and conduit sizing according to NEC and Company’s voltage drop standards, and generation of BOMs and detailed system production modeling.
- Prepare technical drawings, specifications of PV systems to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Conduct detailed site evaluations for targeted projects, including but not limited to, due diligence review, proposal development and pre-engineering support to Sales, Finance and Construction.
- Manage and work closely with equipment vendors to identify technical challenges and create new solutions.
- Coordinate with structural, electrical, geotechnical, and civil Professional Engineers during design process to assure the design meets technical and code requirements. Manage professional engineer review process to obtain PE stamps on drawing packages.
- Work closely with and manage 3rd party professional surveyor to document existing site conditions, local and federal codes and requirements for construction.
- Provide technical support to Commercial Sales, and Finance for the development of technical proposals and customer presentations.
- Participate in meetings and technical presentations to customers, investors and PV technical community.
- Provide engineering/technical input and direction to site evaluation and characterization, permitting, power purchase agreements, interconnect agreements, financial modeling, and other project development aspects.
- Work with appropriate electric utilities to prepare and process interconnection paperwork; provide technical support and management of the interconnection process.
- Review specifications for purchases of materials or equipment.
- Identify appropriate equipment for use in PV systems and perform technical qualification of vendors.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Opportunity to travel nationwide to conduct site visits to potential solar PV project locations and ongoing projects under construction.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with NEC, operational, and safety standards.
- Provide on-going technical support to project construction team during construction of PV systems.
- Review of other design engineers’ work during design phase.
- Maintain constant communication with key members of Sales and other departments as needed to ensure optimal system design, including but not limited to, design workload reporting for use in forecasting and scheduling.
- Develop necessary customer deliverables such as concept module layouts, single line diagrams, equipment or material specifications, engineering validation, 3-D renderings and photo simulations.
- Provide engineering and/or technical input and direction relevant to site evaluation and characterization, permitting, Power Purchase Agreements, Interconnection Agreements, financial modeling, and related project development tasks. Perform detailed energy production modeling calculations, string sizing, PV array to inverter matching, voltage drop, as well as orientation and inter-row spacing analysis.
- Perform electricity tariff analysis, electricity bill analysis, and load versus energy generation analysis.
- Engage in Request for Proposal (RFP) review, technical writing, and response coordination
- Gain an understanding of the National Electrical Code (NEC), the International Building Code (IBC), and the International Fire Code (IFC), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC)
- Learn to use AutoCAD, PVsyst, HelioScope, Google Sketch-up, and Microsoft Excel
- Meets and/or exceeds established performance objectives of assigned duties as defined and communicated by management.
- Perform site visits and inspect solar PV systems under construction to confirm they are being built according to the plans and in compliance with all codes and standards
- Review and respond to submittals and RFIs from subcontractors and EPC partners.
- The Solar PV Project Engineer does not currently supervise any staff members
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS degree in an engineering discipline, (i.e. BSEE, BSME, BSCE, BSChE) – Electrical Engineering degree is preferred
- NABCEP PV Installation Professional certification a plus
- 2-5 years minimum engineering experience
- Experience in electrical, mechanical, structural, or civil engineering design is preferred
- Prior experience in the solar industry highly desirable, specifically in commercial, utility and distributed generation preferred.
- Project management experience, including but not limited to, development, permitting, conceptual and detailed design, and engineering.
- Strong organizational skills required with the ability to manage several design projects.
- Understanding and working familiarity with current AutoCAD software version, as well as MS Office suite.
- Entry level applicants will also be separately considered.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong computing skills including MS Office Suite and AutoCAD.
- Organized with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple design projects
POSITION ROUTINELY INTERFACES WITH:
- Customers and the general public
- Engineering team
- Sales and Business development team
- Construction and estimating department
- All employees, including Senior and Executive Management
Conducts work in both a field-type environment or in a professional office setting with local travel to jobsites to conduct inspections.
Physical working conditions may involve the following:
- Lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Extended periods of sitting, walking, standing, reaching, and/or bending.
- Extended periods of reading fine print on a computer or in paper-based format.
Routine aspects of this position may require the following non-physical demands:
- Analytical and logical reasoning.
- Problem solving and researching skills.
- Time management and organizational skills.
Routine aspects of this position may place the incumbent in situations where they may be susceptible to potential hazards from the following:
- Trips, slips and/or falls while on customer property.
- Chemical abrasives used in office and kitchen cleaning.
- Lifting items up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Other hazardous conditions on customer premises, not otherwise defined here.
POTENTIAL CAREER PATH:
- Senior Project Engineer
- Engineering Manager
- Director of Engineering
•Standard Solar is EOE/AA/Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled employer.