UPPCO seeks a Maintenance Generation Specialist to join their team at the Victoria Hydroelectric Dam site in Rockland, Michigan.
This position is responsible for ensuring safe and reliable generation of electricity by operating, inspecting, and maintaining turbines, generators, auxiliary equipment, buildings, grounds, and dams associated with various types of generating facilities. This position reports to the Generation Supervisor.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. $42.72 per hour in addition to a comprehensive benefit package.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance duties on mechanical equipment, systems and auxiliary equipment associated with generating facilities such as hydroelectric, combustion turbines, or steam plants.
- Diagnose and repair equipment malfunctions to ensure all mechanical equipment functions properly.
- Operate control panels and manual controls to regulate water levels, generators, and auxiliary hydroelectric generating station equipment.
- Read gauges and meters to control specified water flow, water levels, and generation according to power demands, license requirements, and safety factors.
- Maintain equipment to optimal conditions, prevent premature failures, and ensure compliance with design specifications.
- Record data to ensure compliance with State and Federal regulatory agencies.
- Attend company-sponsored classes and assist with on-the-job training for other employees.
- Perform snow removal, grounds keeping, pipeline, road, and plant maintenance tasks.
- Must be able to communicate clearly using telephone and two-way radios.
- Respond to emergency situations as necessary.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL.
- High school diploma or equivalent with additional mechanical or electrical training/education required; Associate Degree in Industrial Maintenance Technology or similarly named major, or Millwright certificate, preferred.
- 3 years in an industrial, military, electric generation or utility environment operating and maintaining mechanical and/or electrical equipment such as pumps, turbines, generators, heavy equipment, boilers, and electrical panels required; experience in hydroelectric generating facilities preferred.
- Electrical and mechanical aptitude, manual dexterity, and capacity to learn and apply skills in maintenance operations.
- Ability to read schematics and blueprints, and work in confined areas and high places.
- Ability to operate various types of electrical, gas and arc welding, mechanic and carpentry tools, backhoe, loader, bulldozer, and other equipment safely.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills; solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Valid driver’s license required as you will travel on a regular basis to other work locations; willingness and ability to obtain a CDL if needed.
- Are physically able to perform the functions of this job which include working in an indoor shop/plant environment with moving objects/machinery, frequently lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs., reaching above shoulders, crawling, kneeling, bending, climbing, having hand-eye coordination; must have vision in both eyes, ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of color, able to hear, work outdoors with exposure to all types of weather conditions, subject to excessive and constant noise, hot materials, fire, fumes, chemicals, and electric energy; use of safety equipment/clothing required.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of jobsite.
SOUND LIKE YOU? Take the next step and apply online at uppco.hirescore.com