Through our campus recruiting program, we hire a select group of highly motivated summer interns (Undergraduate Class of 2023) with the goal of identifying talent for our Full-time Analyst Program. Our size and structure provides individuals with a high level of responsibility and the unique opportunity to work directly with senior management, joint venture partners, investment bankers, brokers and commercial lenders in all real estate classes. Summer Interns will participate in a variety of specialized trainings that will refine their skills and assist them in transitioning into the professional working environment of Starwood and the investment industry as a whole. A mentorship driven program allows our Summer Interns to create lasting relationships that will support the continued growth of a successful career.
Starwood Property Trust (STWD) is the nation’s largest commercial mortgage REIT, managed by Starwood Capital Group (SCG), with over 1400 professionals worldwide and a $5.8bn market cap. STWD is publicly-traded and focused on investing in, originating and servicing commercial real estate debt. The platform originates and acquires debt on all property types nationwide, in Canada and Europe, focusing on primary and secondary markets. Total capital deployed since 2009 inception of over $29.6bn with $0 of realized loan losses; current portfolio of $10bn spanning multiple business segments. Underwriting, origination, asset management, primary servicing, legal and accounting are in-house.
Interns will gain experience to multiple aspects of STWD’s business as they rotate through Originations/Debt Acquisitions and Underwriting. Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Real estate valuation analysis, excel modeling
- Real estate loan origination (whole loan, mezzanine, preferred) and acquisitions including secondary market transactions and commercial mortgage backed securities (CMBS)
- Preparation of presentations and memoranda evaluating investment merits and risks, market dynamics, and projected investment returns
- Credit, legal, market and other diligence
- Transaction execution, including negotiation of loan documentation
- Market research and assistance with ongoing portfolio management