“Doctor Assistant – Bridge Year(s) Opportunity for Gap Year Students looking to work in a dermatology practice in Loudoun County (Northern Virginia)”
This hourly paid position is intended to be educational value for a future physician, physician assistants, or nurse practitioners who is interested in learning the practice medicine by directly assisting an award winning board certified dermatologist.
● Direct physician mentorship is the key outcome component of this experience.
● The environment of a busy private practice encourages a unique and steep learning curve.
● The doctor assistant concept combines cross-trained traditional roles of medical receptionist and medical assistant.
● Responsibilities involve coordinating all aspects of patient care, including arranging appointments, optimizing physician efficiency, assisting with cosmetic, medical and surgical procedures, managing materials and supplies, handling patients before, during, and after outpatient care, and serving as scribe for the dermatologist.
● This position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, cooperating with patients, physicians, and co-workers in a busy clinical environment.
● Full time Two-year Requirement with flexible schedule to allow for MCAT studying, course work if needed.
● Full-time up to 40 hrs per week with occasional Saturday hours
● Successful candidates will graduate or have graduated from a four-year college or university with a strong undergraduate education and all pre-medical requirements satisfied.
● A Letter of recommendation may be provided upon satisfactory participation in this program.
● Intention to matriculate in an MD, MD-PhD, PA, NP program at the conclusion of the bridge-year(s) is required.
To apply, send a cover letter and one-page resume (including undergraduate GPA) directly to Dr. Asmaa Chaudhry at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be a self-starter and a quick learner
- Must have outstanding interpersonal skills
- Must love skin, aesthetics
- Aesthetics experience a PLUS!
- Need to be able to multitask and anticipate the needs of our patients and physician.
- Must be willing to learn health care economics and become a pro dealing with various insurance companies.
- Successful candidate will have the ability to accurately handle a high volume of work in a fast paced environment with compassion, patience, a positive attitude and a smile.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Answering telephones – both in English and Spanish (if bilingual)
- Scheduling appointments
- Check -in and check -out of patients
- Collecting co-pays, co-insurances, deductibles, co-insurance and cash payment for all services
- Scanning, data entry and general clerical duties
- Rooming patients using EMR
- Acting as a scribe for physician
- Room set up and sterilization
- Assist cosmetic, medical, and surgical procedures
- Documentation of patient’s chief complaint, obtain patient history
- Presenting patient to Doctor
- Chart and Scribe with accuracy, staying five steps ahead of Physician
- Assist with surgical and cosmetic procedures/treatments as needed
- administer patient education, basic wound care, suture removal, and phlebotomy.
- Phone calls, arrange appointments, refill requests & pathology logs and biopsy results
- Assist in maintaining medical inventory and placing orders for new materials as needed
- Cleaning rooms, office
- Cross-trained traditional roles of medical receptionist, medical assistant, and medical esthetitician
Qualifications and Skills
- Adaptable to the needs of the practice and growth of practice under direction of practice owner
- Quick Learner
- Ability to multitask
- Adept and Attentive to detail
- Interpersonal skills above average
- Fluency in another language is DESIRABLE but not required
- Must have above average computer skills (Word, Excel, Google suite email)
- Must have strong math skills
- The ideal candidate should have an understanding of Dermatology terms and definitions unique to the field.
- Strong preference to candidates with exposure or prior internship experience in Dermatology or Plastic surgery offices
- EZDERM electronic records experience is a huge plus but not required
- Must be available to work
- Monday-Fridays any hours between 8AM.-6 P.M and occasional Saturdays
- Must be an outstanding communicator
- Must be a team player who is extremely professional with a great attitude.
- Will be responsible for training next doctor assistant
About Stone Ridge Dermatology
A full spectrum dermatology office offering general, pediatric, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology. The medical director/owner is an award-winning board certified dermatologist with a passion for teaching and working with motivated individuals.