Estimate Starting salary: $70,000 increase based on experience
Benefits include Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension, YMCA discount and more!
Purpose and Scope of Job:
Primarily responsible for sourcing materials to production requirements following quality, cost, delivery, and service (QCDS) principles. Major commodity responsibilities include, but not limited to castings, forgings, tooling, and raw materials.
Essential Functions (other duties may be assigned):
- Responsible for the development of criteria and evaluation for sourcing of critical raw materials.
- Review designs and specifications, determine and develop suppliers based on assigned commodities.
- Review new product plans and make recommendations for material sourcing based on design objectives.
- Contribute to project completion targets by participating in material/process specification development and reviews
- Participate in material/process specification reviews for new or improved materials/processes (i.e. fabrication or machining techniques)
- Examine spending and budgets for assigned commodities. Highlight, report and create action strategies based on department and company budgets.
- Measure assigned suppliers’ performance and regularly meet with suppliers to implement improvements.
- Introduce methodology that measurably reduce costs, decrease cycle time, and make purchasing processes more efficient. Research, and implement if necessary, new sources of supply.
- Document changes that can be foreseen in price levels, availability, and markets to ensure a competitive advantage for SMA.
- Develop tools (e.g. RFP templates) to ensure that repetitive tasks can be performed quickly and more efficiently.
- Work with suppliers to develop new capabilities or products that will improve cost or quality.
- Bachelors Degree in Materials Engineering or equivalent experience
- Five (5) years of experience in Materials Engineering or commodity management in castings, forgings, tooling and raw materials.
- Basic knowledge of metals raw materials market and value chain.
- Basic knowledge of quality standards, PPAP, Lean Management Principals, etc.
- Working knowledge of supply chain software.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access).
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication, negotiation, and technical skills.
- Be a leader and team player.
- Project management experience.
- Valid passport as travel is required.
- Any additional essential skills and/or knowledge as shown in the HRIS Career & Education > Skills section for incumbents holding this job title.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer terminal/typewriter; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds