STR’s Analytics division researches and develops advanced analytics and machine learning-based solutions to solve challenging problems related to national security. Our projects span multiple different data modalities and incorporate advanced algorithms, deep learning, and statistical techniques to uncover patterns in social media, structured and unstructured text, time series, geospatial and imagery data. The tools and technologies we develop have real world impact and are used by analysts to extract and enrich intelligence information around the globe.
As a Software Engineer, you will be part of a team that transforms large and complex customer data into next generation applications that have operational impact. You will be responsible for designing and building the infrastructure to perform data ingestion, ETL processes, and inference at scale across multiple different data modalities using the latest data storage and computing technologies. You will deploy algorithms, generate workflows, develop SDKs, and design customer-facing prototype systems. You will occasionally travel to customer sites to engage with end users, demonstrate prototypes, and integrate analytics into customer systems.
- Degree in a scientific or engineering field, such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or Physics
- Motivated collaborator who’s comfortable communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency and experience with AWS resources such as EC2, S3, Lambda, etc.
- Familiarity with one or more of Spark, Hive, Dask, and/or similar technologies for working with data at scale
- Experience with one or more database technologies such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, mongoDB, noSQL, etc.
- A U.S. citizen and have ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Track record of architecting, developing, deploying, or maintaining enterprise level software solutions
- Experience with designing, building, or maintaining SDKs and/or APIs
- Understanding of web development and visualization technologies, such as d3, Leaflet, Bootstrap, or others
- Experience deploying ETL processes and/or machine learning models into production
- Active TS or TS/SCI security clearance
Systems & Technology Research (STR) is a rapidly growing technology company with locations north of Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and near Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
We’re not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can’t do it alone, though – we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe!
STR is fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at email@example.com and provide your name, phone number and email address.
US Citizenship is required for all positions.