Temple Allen Industries (www.templeallen.com) is an industrial technology firm with its headquarters in Rockville, MD, just outside of Washington D.C. Temple Allen Industries was founded in 2003 on the belief that we can enable workers to perform some of the hardest jobs in industry without risking their health. The firm has established itself as a leading provider of ergonomic industrial equipment serving a prestigious list of aerospace and marine clients in both commercial and defense sectors. Temple Allen is currently developing a line of smart automation products which promise to redefine the industrial robotics and human augmentation sectors.
Position: Electrical Engineering Intern
We are looking for a select number of exceptional students who are currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, an academic program in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines to consider joining an elite team of their peers at Temple Allen Industries in Rockville, MD. Candidates with a focus on Robotics or Mechatronics or with a second major in Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering are particularly encouraged to apply.
As part of our Engineering team, you will bring your talents, energy, and dedication to the cutting edge and interdisciplinary development of industrial automation technologies that integrate unique mechanical / pneumatic tooling with sensors, graphic interfaces, data collection, machine learning, and AI. Candidates chosen for the team will be working to real specifications in real time for real customers – delivering groundbreaking products to customers you’ll want on your resume.
The position is eligible for Co-Op credit and we will work with candidates to support them meeting their school’s requirements. Intern positions are also available to recent graduates.
The Ideal Practicum
This is a highly competitive internship, and the extraordinary challenge it represents is not for everyone. Current and recent interns have come to us from some of the country’s most rigorous programs, and gone on to secure positions at NASA, Apple, Google, and CERN. If you should be accepted as an intern at Temple Allen, we believe Temple Allen offers you a more intensely educational and hands-on experience than any university curriculum – an experience that supplements and improves all subsequent classroom time as you chart your own course towards graduation.
· Provide electrical design, support, research, and insight for the Engineering department
· Participate in the definition of system specifications
· Construct prototypes and troubleshoot designs
· Printed circuit board design and layout
· Generate technical documentation, such as Bill of Materials (BOM), schematics, and assembly guides
· Take ownership of completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of tasks and recommend new effective approaches where appropriate
· Coordinate with Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science colleagues to optimize system reliability and performance
· Push yourself relentlessly to perform beyond your, and our, expectations
· Report twice daily to Engineering management
Key Qualifications include:
· Studying for at least a B.S. in Electrical Engineering with a strong academic record
· Hands-on experience in design, component evaluation and selection, design validation and qualification
· C++/Python experience
· Having or wanting to develop genuine leadership skills
· Exhibiting a positive attitude and an inquisitive nature
Preferred Skills and Expertise include:
· Experience with Robotics, Embedded Systems, or Sensor Integration
· Double majoring in Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science
· Microcontroller and microprocessor communication protocols
Time Commitment: Minimum two months in May-August or minimum of three months in September-December timeframes
Temple Allen is a non-smoking environment – candidates MUST be non-smokers/vapers in order to qualify.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.