Temple Allen Industries (www.templeallen.com) is an industrial technology firm with its headquarters in Rockville, MD, just outside of Washington D.C. Temple Allen Industries was founded in 2003 on the belief that we can help workers perform some of the hardest jobs in industry without risking their health. We build tools and solutions that protect workers, make them more valuable to their employers, and improve the company bottom line. The firm has enjoyed particular success in serving a prestigious list of aerospace and marine clients in both its commercial and defense sectors and is currently developing a line of smart automation products which promise to redefine the industrial robotics and human augmentation sectors.
Position: Mechatronics/Robotics Engineering Intern
We are looking for a select number of exceptional students who are currently enrolled in a top-tier undergraduate or graduate program in Mechatronics, Computer Science, or related disciplines to consider joining an elite team of their peers at Temple Allen Industries in Rockville, MD.
As part of our Engineering team, you will bring your talents, energy, and dedication to the cutting edge and interdisciplinary development of industrial automation technologies that integrate unique mechanical / pneumatic tooling with a collaborative automation controls methodology that incorporates ML and AI. Candidates chosen for the team will be working on high impact projects to real specifications in real time for real customers.
The position is eligible for Co-Op credit and we will work with candidates to support them meeting their school’s requirements. Intern positions are also available to recent graduates.
The Ideal Practicum
This is a highly competitive internship, and the extraordinary challenge it represents is not for everyone. Current and recent interns have come to us from some of the country’s most rigorous programs, and gone on to secure positions at NASA, Apple, Tesla, and CERN. If you should be accepted as an intern at Temple Allen, we believe Temple Allen offers you a more intensely educational and hands-on experience than any university curriculum – an experience that supplements and improves all subsequent classroom time as you chart your course towards graduation.
· Directly assist in programming system behavior in response to both user and sensory input while adhering to strict performance requirements
· Participate in the definition of system specifications
· Take ownership of completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of tasks and recommend new effective approaches where appropriate
· Generate technical documentation, such as Bill of Materials (BOM), schematics, and assembly guides
· Design and carry out test setups for sensor configurations and computer vision implementation
· Assist in debugging code and troubleshooting electronic circuitry
· Develop interactive communication and feedback between physical system and remote graphical user interface
· Coordinating with Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science colleagues to optimize system reliability and performance
Key Qualifications include:
· Pursuing a B.S. or M.S. (or recent graduate) in the areas of Mechanical/Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Science, preferably a blend of the above
· C++/Python experience
· Experience with both the physical integration and programming aspect of blended mechanical/electronic systems
· Having or wanting to develop genuine leadership skills
· Exhibiting a positive attitude and an inquisitive nature
· Experience with robotics and working on a multidisciplinary team
Preferred Skills and Expertise include:
· Experience with Vision Systems, Embedded Systems, and/or Sensor Integration
· Microcontroller and microprocessor communication protocols, especially I2C and UART
· PCB design
· Exposure to ROS
Time Commitment: Minimum three months winter and spring timeframes, minimum two months during summer.
Temple Allen is a non-smoking environment – candidates MUST be non-smokers/vapers in order to qualify.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.