Temple Allen Industries (www.templeallen.com) is an industrial technology firm with its headquarters in Rockville, MD, just outside of Washington D.C. Temple Allen Industries was founded in 2003 on the belief that we can help workers perform some of the hardest jobs in industry without risking their health. We build tools and solutions that protect workers, make them more valuable to their employers, and improve the company bottom line. The firm has enjoyed particular success in serving a prestigious list of aerospace and marine clients in both its commercial and defense sectors and is currently developing a line of smart automation products which promise to redefine the industrial robotics and human augmentation sectors.
Position: Programming Intern
We are looking for a select number of exceptional students who are currently enrolled in a top-tier undergraduate or graduate program in Computer Science or related disciplines to consider joining an elite team of their peers at Temple Allen Industries in Rockville, MD.
As part of our Engineering team, you will bring your talents, energy, and dedication to the cutting edge and interdisciplinary development of industrial automation technologies that integrate unique mechanical / pneumatic tooling with a collaborative automation controls methodology that incorporates ML and AI. Candidates chosen for the team will be working on high impact projects to real specifications in real time for real customers.
The position is eligible for Co-Op credit and we will work with candidates to support them meeting their school’s requirements. Intern positions are also available to recent graduates.
The Ideal Practicum
This is a highly competitive internship, and the extraordinary challenge it represents is not for everyone. Current and recent interns have come to us from some of the country’s most rigorous programs, and gone on to secure positions at NASA, Apple, Tesla, and CERN. If you should be accepted as an intern at Temple Allen, we believe Temple Allen offers you a more intensely educational and hands-on experience than any university curriculum – an experience that supplements and improves all subsequent classroom time as you chart your own course towards graduation.
· Working on a team to code and design an intuitive yet powerful graphical user interface and controls methodology for a complex, semi-autonomous mechatronic system
· Establishing network and server access to store and pull data in real time from a number of system and user inputs
· Take ownership of completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of tasks and recommend new effective approaches where appropriate
· Analyzing data to support the development of machine learning strategies
· Debugging existing code
Key Qualifications include:
· Pursuing a B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science (or a recent graduate) with a strong academic record
· Experience coding in Python on Linux
· Experience with object-oriented and command line programming
· Having or wanting to develop genuine leadership skills
· Exhibiting positive attitude and an inquisitive nature, particularly when tasked head on with unfamiliar challenges
Preferred Skills and Expertise include:
· Familiarity with the use of python libraries relevant to GUI design and functionality
· App/UI development
· Data collection/analysis
Time Commitment: Minimum three months in December-June timeframe. Minimum two months during Summer.
Temple Allen is a non-smoking environment – candidates MUST be non-smokers/vapers in order to qualify.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.