Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of interdisciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Programs Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Hawthorne, CA
About the Team
Interns within the Color, Material and Finish Design Team will support the design, development and production of current and future vehicles as well as related products. Your scope of work will be a combination of creative design, research, program management, material sourcing and organization as it relates to the current requirements of the team. This includes trend and material research, visual mood board and storytelling creation, development of CMF strategy, and executing final color, materials, and finishes for production.
What to Expect
As a CMF Design intern, you will be exposed to all aspects of the CMF design and development process. This will include but is not limited to the following:
- Ideate, visualize, and develop design proposals for colors, materials, and finishes for Tesla designs.
- Create digital and physical CMF presentations that show a future vision for Tesla designs.
- Collaborate and strategize with cross functional teams, including design and manufacturing, to implement production of final CMF designs.
- Develop and master color, materials, and finishes for all vehicle exterior and interior surfaces.
- Support CMF Design release process and documentation.
- Support the program management of all ongoing projects.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors. Includes independent research to identify new resources, materials and technologies, and obtain samples to organize and maintain in the CMF materials library.
Requirements (Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary)
- Currently working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Color and Material Design, Transportation Design, Industrial Design, or Textile Design.
- Strong background and/or interest in Automotive Color, Material and Finish Design.
- Exceptional visual, communication, and presentation skills
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office. 3D software knowledge and rendering skills are preferred but not required.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to learn concepts quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on difficult projects with tight deadlines.
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.