Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
- Reno, NV
- Buffalo, NY
About the Team
EHS interns engage in variety of activities in a wide range of EHS disciplines. Under the mentorship of EHS specialists/ managers, EHS interns undertake projects directed at specific topics such as equipment safety, industrial hygiene, occupational ergonomics, environmental compliance, sustainability and training & education. They also work closely with multiple teams ranging from production to engineering to provide EHS support to day-to-day operations, conduct safety walkthroughs and audits, deliver safety trainings to employees, participate in analyses of workplace incidents and help drive corrective actions.
EHS interns have a genuine passion for the health and safety of people, respect for our environment and a deep desire to learn and acquire knowledge and skills related to environment, health, safety and sustainability. EHS interns interact with a variety of individuals and establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external customers. An internship with the Tesla EHS team will provide incumbents an opportunity to help foster a strong safety and sustainability culture, be enablers of business processes, and above all, be part of Tesla’s mission.
EHS has many teams within the organization. Below you’ll find examples of specific teams you may be supporting.
- Construction Safety Specialist: The Construction Safety Specialist will collaborate with the EHS team and Tesla’s construction management personnel to ensure that construction contractors follow their respective safety program and Tesla’s overall contractor safety program. Reporting to the Manager of Construction Safety, the Construction Safety Specialist will manage safety and risk associated with several active and upcoming construction projects and ensure compliance with all applicable safety regulations.
- Safety: Responsible in leading or participating on policy and procedure development teams of safety initiatives, pilots and roll out of new processes. This also includes setting up and managing various safety projects in person and/or virtually to include project management tracking through (JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint). Positions may be in manufacturing or supporting sales, service and delivery.
- Ergonomics & Equipment Safety: Functional Support Ergonomics and Equipment Safety at Tesla is focused on establishing the conditions of work – from manufacturing and maintenance, to sales and service – such that all Tesla employees are able to achieve and sustain healthy high work performance and customizing workstation design.
- Environmental: Responsible for various aspects of environmental compliance such as: 1) Ensuring Tesla conforms to all Federal, State, County and City regulations 2) Identifying methods to manage hazardous waste and proper disposal of materials, and/or 3) Recognizing further improvements to manage stormwater and wastewater for our sites.
- Research and Development (R&D): Provide day to day support to R&D sites across all Fremont, CA locations. Intern will be working on manufacturing locations where the importance and proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite, Video Editing, Online Training Systems, CAD, & chemical handling will be crucial.
- Sustainability Operations: Responsible for gathering and analyzing data that can be used to set and achieve goals for sustainability.
- Fire Management and Prevention: This team maintains building fire protection systems, provides initial emergency response with internal and external emergency response agencies, and prepares Tesla employees to appropriately react to emergencies in their work area.
- Emergency Management: This team is responsible for improving Tesla’s overall resiliency before, during or after an emergency or disaster by engaging in emergency operations and planning, recovery and continuity planning, mitigation projects, training or exercising, and engaging in education and outreach efforts. This team also identifies potential threats or impacts to Tesla, produces information and hazard analysis briefings, and supports travel security efforts.
- 3rd / 4th year student working towards a Bachelor’s Degree OR 5th year Master’s student working towards a degree in the following areas:
- Environmental Studies, Industrial Safety, Public Health, Safety, Industrial Engineering, Occupational Health & Safety, or Safety Engineering
- Previous work experience or internships related to the area of expertise
- Experience or knowledge of Tableau, Power BI, SQL, Python
- Ability to develop and maintain key project metrics and assure compliance with federal, state, local, and corporate policies.
- Self-starters who are results oriented, resourceful, analytical, innovative, and intellectually curious
- Demonstrate strong ability to embrace and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment