Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
- Sparks, NV
About the Team
The Quality Engineering Team members are expected to have the skills to analyze data and surface takeaways and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels in the company. Through the intern program, we are looking to find the next wave of talent to drive these efforts.
This position you will work as a member of Tesla’s Quality Team. The primary objective of this role is to support the production of high-quality products through the continual improvement of process and product quality and the systems that surround them. The successful candidate for this position must be a problem-solver at their core, have a strong quality & customer-focused mindset, and have the personal drive and stamina for relentless, continual improvement, personally and professionally.
What to Expect
Quality Interns will be responsible for providing on time support to our internal or external customers on Quality Improvement opportunities involved in both Vehicle and Powertrain.
- Monitoring our manufacturing processes
- Creating and monitoring quality data systems
- Identifying continuous improvement opportunities and implementing best practices
- Performing design engineering analysis and reviewing engineering documentation
- Capture and document root cause analysis
- Contain defective products through ownership of problem definition (8D’s), Root Cause Analysis (RCA’s), leading dispositions, and resolution effectiveness tracking.
- Reviews, develops, and implements revised/new processes using Six Sigma/Lean manufacturing
- Working cross functionally with various teams to achieve quality standards
- Detect non-conformances through use and standardization of SPC systems, and Change Control management.
- Ensure standards and specification by championing product/process Control Plans, Inspection Standards, quality and testing plans and instructions, Visual Work Instructions, and Technical Specifications.
- Prevent failed customer satisfaction and durability by coordinating Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA’s), product design specifications and tolerances reviews, past problem history, and supplier development.
- Validate processes and products New Product Implementation (NPI) standards.
- Currently pursuing degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical Engineering or other Engineering Technology discipline
- Prior internship experience in a manufacturing setting preferred
- Evidence of bringing assignments to a successful completion.
- Clear verbal / written communication and computer skills in English Language.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to multi task effectively within a team environment in managing priorities.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area; follow daily 5S directives.