Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Interns within Vehicle Hardware Engineering will support the development, production, and testing of current and future vehicle designs. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
Your application for the Vehicle Hardware Engineering Internship – Electrical/Computer Engineering will be considered across all opportunities for the teams listed below:
The Autopilot Hardware team is responsible for designing the Controllers that deliver the autonomous driving capability of Tesla vehicles. This team designs complex, high-speed boards that deliver computing performance while meeting efficiency, cost, reliability and safety goals. The IC Packaging Design team performs advanced IC package design feasibility studies, trail routing and fan-out studies. They are responsible for carrying out physical layout by using constraint driven design methodology. Signal Integrity/Power Integrity Engineers validate next generation autopilot system in Tesla’s vehicles. They support system level high-speed serial interface and memory interface signal integrity design.
Electrical Architecture & Distribution teams are responsible for the design of the electrical nervous system of our upcoming vehicle platforms. These multi-disciplinary teams are responsible for the vehicle’s electrical distribution framework; both Low Voltage (lights, seats, horn, audio, Infotainment system, and Autopilot) and High Voltage (charging, main battery, drive units, HVAC power). They have ownership of the wiring design in collaboration with all those device designers, and validation and supplier preparedness for all vehicle development projects.
The Sensing team is responsible for the hardware that embodies the “senses” of Tesla vehicles. This team. They architect the ADAS sensor product installed on all vehicles, Develop DSP/Algorithms, and ensure sensor performance is successfully achieved when integrated with other subsystems in the vehicle.
Connectivity is an important part of all Tesla cars, further enhancing the driving experience by providing access to features that require wireless data usage. We apply first-principles for the design, integration, test, and production development. You will closely work with cross-functional teams and support other engineering teams to achieve quality and schedule targets.
- Collaborating – Participate in cross-functional discussions with mechanical, electrical, firmware, PCB layout, program management, and manufacturing.
- Schematic design – use EDA tools to define the electrical components and their connectivity
- PCB Layout – supervise the generation of board design files through all design phases
- Support BOM definition – work with the supply chain team to ensure components will meet performance, cost & manufacturing requirements
- Prototyping – support early sensor prototype development to de-risk new technologies
- Validation – generate a test plan that includes milestones that focus on de-risking product and/or feature deployment and align with the program timeline
- Characterization – ensure the hardware meets required design criteria across a host of environments and regulations while collaborating with the reliability, test and homologation teams
- Debugging – optimize the system designs including PCB, cable harness, camera module, etc.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or Ph.D. in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mechatronic or Computer Science.
- Experience with analog and digital circuit design and PCBA.
- Experience with PCB component selection
- Exceptional organization and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Experience in MATLAB, Python, C/C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analysis
- Experience on using test and measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, signal generators, arbitrary waveform generators, VNA, etc.
- This role is available across various Tesla locations, including Palo Alto, CA; Fremont, California; Austin, Texas – must be able to relocate for the duration of your internship.