Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time (40 hours/week), for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We provide an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Interns within Vehicle Hardware Engineering will support the development, production, and testing of current & future vehicle designs. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and prototyping projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
Your application for the Vehicle Hardware Engineering Internship – Radio Frequency Engineering will be considered across all opportunities for the teams listed below:
· Antenna team is responsible for the design, development and validation of all our antenna products. Radio frequency connectivity is an important part of all Tesla cars, further enhancing the driving experience by providing access to features that require wireless data usage. By joining the Tesla Antenna Team, you will be an integral part of our on-going antenna product development activities that cover a significant portion of the radio frequency spectrum. We apply first-principles for the design, integration, test, and production of antenna solutions in a fast pace product development environment. You will closely work with cross-functional teams and support other engineering teams to achieve quality and schedule targets.
· The Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) team focuses in two core functions – product design and validation for EMC. We work closely with different teams like Electrical, Mechanical, vehicle integration, harness, and homologation to achieve quality and schedule targets. For the product design, we are responsible for the aspects of Electromagnetic compatibility in the electrical and mechanical development like filtering, shielding, and ESD protection. In addition, the team covers the EMC validation at the module level and vehicle level for radio noise, ESD, Radiated Emissions, Radiated Immunity, Conducted Emissions, Conducted Immunity, and homologation for regulatory compliance.
- The Sensing team is responsible for designing, testing & integrating the Radio Frequency hardware that helps form some of the “senses” of Tesla vehicles. Our goal is to reliably give the vehicle as much information about its interior & exterior environments as possible with high accuracy; we define the architecture the ADAS sensor suite installed on all vehicles, develop DSP/Algorithms, and ensure sensor performance is successfully achieved when integrated with other subsystems in the vehicle.
- The Wireless Hardware team who is developing to hardware and integration for radio frequency connectivity systems such as Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC technology. The state-of-the-art wireless technology integrated in the Tesla vehicles enables people to access and interact with vehicles anytime and anywhere. Our team is responsible to test, validate and troubleshooting to introduce the best in class radio frequency connectivity Hardware system.
· Collaborating – Participate in cross-functional discussions with mechanical, electrical, firmware, PCB layout, program management, and manufacturing.
· Schematic design – use EDA tools to define the electrical components and their connectivity.
· PCB Layout – supervise the generation of board design files through all design phases.
· Support BOM definition – work with the supply chain team to ensure components will meet performance, cost & manufacturing requirements.
· Prototyping – support early prototype development to de-risk new technologies and concepts.
· Troubleshooting and debugging to optimize radio frequency system design; identify root cause and mitigation plan for proper system performance from PCB assembly, cable harness, and integration to vehicle.
· Validation – generate a test plan that includes milestones that focus on de-risking product and/or feature deployment and align with the program timeline.
· Characterization – ensure the hardware meets required design criteria across a host of environments and regulations while collaborating with the reliability, test, and homologation teams.
· Currently working towards a BS, MS, or Ph.D. in a relevant engineering program such as Electromagnetics, Radio Frequency engineering, Antenna design, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Mechatronic.
· Experience with radio frequency, analog, and digital circuit design.
· Experience with PCB design and component selection.
· Experience in MATLAB, Python, C/C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analysis.
· Experience on using test and measurement equipment specially for radio frequency like spectrum analyzer, Vector Network Analyzer, oscilloscopes, signal generators, arbitrary waveform generators, etc.
· Familiarity with an EM 3D design tool is a plus.
· Exceptional organization and communication skills (both written and verbal)
· Data analysis, report writing, and presentation skills.
· Self-starter, energizing, results oriented, and ability to multi-task.
· Ability to meet aggressive delivery targets.
· Must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment.
This role is available across various Tesla locations, including Palo Alto, CA; Fremont, California; Austin, Texas – must be able to relocate for the duration of your internship