This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) Office of General Council (OGC) department and specifically the Government Operations team. This is an unpaid internship position.
This position will assist the Government Relations team in outreach and education for elected officials at the Federal and State levels of government. Projects and task for this position include research, writing and development of outreach efforts with a goal of ensuring elected officials have broad awareness of the Red Cross mission and how we can help people in need across the U.S. This position will provide assistance for outreach efforts relevant to all Red Cross lines of service.
The fall 2021 position is a virtual (work from home) opportunity.
**All internship candidates must currently be enrolled in a college or university education program.
- Tracking the Government Relations Team’s interaction with elected officials
- Attend Congressional hearings and take notes on content
- Research and track state & federal legislation pertaining to American Red Cross activities
- Assist in the creation of briefing materials for Red Cross senior leadership meetings with government officials and agencies
- Review daily social media reports for Red Cross mentions by elected officials
- Assist in the planning of Red Cross events on Capitol Hill
- Review and Maintain Government Relations inbox
- September through December 2021
- 20 hours per week during business hours (ET), flexible scheduling
- Preferred start date: As soon as possible
- Preferred end date: December 12, 2021
- Currently enrolled in a college or university education program
- Basic knowledge of the United States Government structure
- High level knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and personal communication skills
- Good writing, research and organizational skills
- Ability to meet short deadlines
- Political Science major or related area of study
- Knowledge of congressional and Administration policy making procedures, leadership, industry expectations, collaboration, interpersonal /public communication, research/analytical skills, including prioritization of needed information.