Third Way’s Communications Team is looking for a smart, creative, and enthusiastic person to work side-by-side with Third Way staff to cultivate and maintain strategic relationships with DC decision-makers, the national press, and influential thinkers in the policy world. Third Way’s Communications Digital Internship is a part-time, paid opportunity that offers hands-on experience at the intersection of politics and the press.
This internship is a great opportunity for an aspiring communicator to participate in the work of Third Way’s Communications Team and gain valuable experience in the field. Examples of our impact include:
- Third Way ideas and staff are frequently cited in major news outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Axios, POLITICO, and others;
- Third Way staff is called on to offer commentary & analysis by broadcast media. Our staff is regularly featured on MSNBC, CNN, Fox, the BBC, NPR, and almost all major cable political programs;
- Events co-hosted and attended by Biden Administration, Senate & House leaders, elite media, and leaders in the advocacy community; and
- Research that helps craft the winning blueprint for pragmatic, center-left candidates across the country.
As a Communications Intern, a typical day might include…
- Drafting tweets and Facebook posts to advance Third Way’s social media and networking presence and emails. You may also assist staff with videos, graphics, emails, newsletters, and reports;
- Maintaining the Third Way distribution lists and tracking our interactions with the press using various customer relations management databases;
- Working closely with our teams to grow and engage our distribution lists and keep tabs on product performance with Google Analytics and Salesforce;
- Monitoring current trends and topics in the political landscape; and
- Crafting a long-term project of your choosing to present to staff at the end of your internship with us.
This might be the right job for you if you…
- Are a current college student or recent graduate with an interest in and knowledge of the intersection of public policy, national politics, and journalism/media. English, journalism or communications degree preferred, but not required;
- Have the digital and research skills we need: We’re looking for someone who is very online—up-to-date on the latest trends and memes, can check quotes, chase down facts, dig up polling and election returns, and is able to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources;
- Are detail-oriented: Your duties include cleaning up contacts in our new CRM database, preparing performance reports for our teams, logging and analyzing internal metrics, proofing content for the website, and pulling custom lists for a new product release;
- Have new, fresh ideas for our marketing strategy. We’re always looking to keep our messaging clean, simple, and sticky;
- Are able to work under short deadlines and deliver in a fast-paced environment;
- Are able to juggle multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously; and
- Have strong computer skills, with excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and are knowledgeable about digital platforms including Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
This is a part-time, PAID INTERNSHIP. We are flexible with scheduling.
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way reopens its office which is currently scheduled for Monday, November 1, 2021, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.