At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands – including Trane® and Thermo King® – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
Trane Technologies has an exciting opportunity for a position in our Test Laboratory as a Laboratory Intern – HVAC Technician. This position is based in La Crosse, WI in the Engineering Laboratory. The primary role of this position is testing in support of new product development, sustainability, quality improvement projects, and agency compliance. This role is responsible for test in the lab that produce qualifying performance and safety test data on Commercial Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Products. The area requires a high level of problem solving, troubleshooting, organization, and collaboration. This position works closely with engineering and other lab personnel to complete projects.
This is a temporary assignment with a possibility to continue until graduation. Hours are flexible, but intern must be able to work minimum 2-hour shifts at least 10-15 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week with approved overtime during the summer/holidays. Work days are flexible to accommodate student schedules.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of complex variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge on mechanical and electrical components related to HVAC equipment or other types of machinery.
- Ability to learn basic understanding of schematics, reading and interpreting engineering drawings, technical reports, safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to operate power hand tools, band saw, drill press, grinder etc. and work from lifts, scaffolds, and ladders.
- Work safely and maintain a safe work area in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Assist in Trane Commercial HVAC product testing: including test planning; unit and instrumentation installation and setup; and data collection with guidance from other Laboratory Technicians and Engineers.
- Assist in troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving issues on Trane Commercial HVAC and test equipment.
- Assist in the fabrication, assembly and validation of laboratory facilities and product prototypes.
- Support other HVAC testing and lab activities as needed.
- Currently and actively enrolled in an Associate degree program in HVAC or 2-year equivalent degree program at an accredited school.
- Basic grasp of refrigeration related thermodynamic principles and mechanical troubleshooting is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Outlook) required, with desire to learn basic programming in Visual Basic is preferred.
- May physically lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with provided machinery and personnel.
- Must conduct affairs of the company and interact with suppliers and customers in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.