Intermolecular™, a business of EMD Electronics is seeking qualified candidates for a Simulations Internship position in our office in San Jose, California. The candidate will develop and use modeling tools to optimize properties & performance of materials. Qualified candidates seeking appointments lasting between 9 and 12 months are encouraged to apply. The position is available immediately until filled.
– Participate in simulations projects; the primary project may be chosen depending on intern’s qualifications, and may include:
· Simulations projects using first-principles and device modeling software, including surface reactions, thermodynamic, and transport properties;
· Modeling of performance of devices and optimization of desired stack and materials parameters using Ginestra software;
· Generation of potentials for classical molecular dynamics (MD) from ab-initio MD data;
· Modeling kinetics of the process of atomic layer deposition (ALD) and developing workflows to extract the parameters necessary for predictive ALD kinetics modeling from experiment
· Other simulations projects using first-principles and machine learning software.
– Collaborate with Intermolecular research teams on customer and internal R&D projects and workflow development as necessary.
– At least two years of college preparation are required (candidates holding M.S. and demonstrating a solid progress towards Ph.D. are particularly encouraged to apply).
– Solid understanding of key thermodynamic concepts relating to materials stability, chemical transformations, and kinetics of chemical reactions is required.
– Solid programming skills in at least one programming language are required.
– The candidate should have good communication skills and a strong drive to deliver in a high-pace collaborative environment.
Other desired qualifications:
– Understanding of solid state physics, fundamentals of materials science, and semiconductor physics is strongly preferred.
– Familiarity with python is preferred (proficiency and at least one year experience using python, numpy, and scipy is strongly preferred).
– Experience using DFT (in particular VASP), and/or MD, and/or Ginestra device modeling, is strongly preferred.
– Experience using Tensorflow or other machine learning tools / frameworks is strongly preferred.
– Knowledge of calculus and partial differential equations (PDEs) and familiarity with numerical solution methods for PDEs (and their stability) is strongly preferred.
– Familiarity with the physics of diffusion and processes defining the ALD window (chemisorption, physisorption, condensation, desorption, decomposition) is preferred.
– Experience in modeling ALD kinetics, diffusion processes (both continuum and molecular flow regimes), and/or kinetics of chemical reactions is preferred.
– Familiarity with gas flow modeling tools is a plus.
– Experience using linux, bash scripting, job schedulers and/or Jupyter server setup is a plus.
– Candidates with experience in the following areas are encouraged to mention it, such an experience may be a plus but is not required: NEB calculations, calculations of surface/interface
energetics and reconstruction, modeling of ferroelectric materials, amorphous materials, multiscale modeling, TCAD modeling, thermodynamic modeling (including CALPHAD, cluster expansion and other DFT-based methods).
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.